Chapter 22

Lifting her hips, Happy tried to be gentle and patient as he entered Rory from behind but he could see her grimace with each thrust. It wasn't her usual mix of pleasure of pain but simply pain as they made love for the first time since the attack. It was too soon but she was desperate for something, to feel something more than the loneliness and pain she was growing far too used to. She spent three days in the hospital and the day she was discharged, Half-Sack died, it was a crushing blow and she spent the two days since in a deep depression.

Happy finished, at her insistence, and without a word walked into the bathroom. "I'm sorry." She called out to him.

"This ain't your fault." He finally answered as he came back into the bedroom. "Emma, Sack, none of it is on you."

"Feels like it is." She'd never taken her t-shirt off, embarrassed and disgusted by her back but when he left she sat up and moved to the edge of the bed. He began to redress and Rory took the plunge, "Hap, we need to talk."

"When you were in the hospital," he started without looking at her. "I kept thinking I wish I never fucking met you."

Rory drew her head back and nodded. "Then Emma wouldn't be here."

"And she wouldn't have been fucking kidnapped, in some crazy fucking car accident, you wouldn't have gotten stabbed or had your back cut up. The prospect would still be alive if I didn't have him here, your asshole ex would still be alive. This is a fucking mess and the only way I know you'll be safe is if you take our kid and fucking go."

"Hap," it was her exact thought as well but it hurt coming from him. "I want to be with you."

"This ain't going to work." He turned but kept his eyes on anything other than her heartbroken face. She was prepared to leave him but the plan sounded insane coming from him. She wanted to be there, she loved him too much to leave. "I'll give you cash, set you up somewhere and I'll visit Emma when I can."

"What?" Her voice cracked and Rory actually began to cry. "Hap, you know I thought this was a good plan too but it's not. I need to be here, we need to be with you. Me and Em need you."

"I can't be with anyone." He shrugged, a rush of emotion hitting him. "Donna is dead because of the club, Abel got kidnapped, Tara too, Sack is dead. The longer you're around the better chance you have of dying bloody. You need to leave."

"I don't want to go."

"There's cash on the table downstairs. I'll stay at the clubhouse while you pack. Any help you need, I'll send Miles or someone."

"Happy I am not leaving."

"Go!" He shouted, his finger pointing toward the door. "I don't want you here."

--

Any one have any requests or a direction you'd like me to take this? I have ideas but I'd like to know what you are all thinking!