Chapter 25

Four Days Later...

"Emma!" Happy's gravely voice practically sang the girl's name as he swept into the house and picked his daughter up into his arms. "I missed you baby girl."

The child squealed and her little fingers gripped his cut. "Mama, Daddy's here!"

"I can see that," she tried to sound excited. "What are you two doing?" There was a harshness in her voice Happy had never heard before.

"Park, I think. I don't have a lot of time."

"What?" Rory dropped her purse on the table and looked at him with piercing eyes.

"I'm down here for work."

"You haven't seen your daughter for a month, you broke two promises to her and now you're here for a few hours?"

Happy rolled his jaw. "Shit came up, Ror."

"Shit that's more important than your daughter?" When he didn't answer, Rory turned her back and let out a little growl. "There's a playground a few blocks from here. Make sure you put sunscreen on her. I'm going for coffee with a friend; lock the door on your way out. You'll have to call me before you head back here."

"You have a friend?" He asked skeptically.

"Yes, I do." She refused to elaborate.

"Here." Happy held out two stacks of money for her. It was tempting. Rory knew it would be hard to work and have Emma especially with no one she truly trusted to watch her but she refused to take his money. She'd find a daycare or something because really, she had no other choice.

"We don't need your money." She spat bitterly.

"I don't want you working. It's dangerous. Just stay home with Em."

"I don't care what you want Happy." Suddenly the fire in her voice was gone and she just sounded sad. "Emma doesn't care about money she wants to see her dad. If you're picking up extra runs to provide for us and that's why you can't see her then stop. I managed before and I'll manage again."

Rory stormed out but as strong as she looked to Happy she was breaking apart inside quietly. It hurt, all of it hurt, but she didn't know how to make it go away.

--

Rory laughed. She actually laughed as she and Ryder spoke over coffee. He was charming and handsome and she already had a crush.

"So what do you do when you're not with Gwen? There has to be something you're passionate about aside from your daughter."

"I'm a writer. That's what I do, yeah, but when I'm not actually working, I still enjoy writing. I've been working on this screenplay for years. I'll never sell it," he said embarrassedly, "But it helps me relax. I draw too, pencil and charcoal. I'm a simple man," he laughed.

"You are far from simple. I've known simple men they're actually usually the dark, complicated ones. Simplicity comes from them burying their feelings and emotional idiocy."

Ryder leaned back and pulled a face. "You speak from experience, I can tell."

"Emma's dad." Rory said sadly.

"I'm sorry to hear that." He put his hand on the table, palm up and smiled. "Is that why you're here now, in Arizona, to get away from him?"

Rory timidly touched the tips of his fingers with hers and shrugged. "Kind of. It's a long and crazy story. Not coffee talk, I can tell you that much."

"Is it first date talk because I'd like to take you out, Aurora." She giggled at the name and shook her head. "No to the name or the date?"

"The name, I'd really like to go out, officially."

-

Rory was home before Happy and she was simply thrilled. She'd have to find a sitter, somehow, but she was going on a date, probably her first real date ever. When she heard Happy's gruff voice floating in from the front windows she unlocked the front door and waited.

"I missed you, baby." She said as Emma took the steps as fast as she could to get to her mother. "Did you have fun with Daddy?"

"Boo boo." She showed her scraped elbow off with pride.

"She fell?" Rory knew her anger was unwarranted but she struggled to keep it in check.

"She more like slid. She's fine."

"I'm fine, Mommy!" Emma repeated her father's assurance.

"Fine enough for a nap?" Rory asked, carting little Emma to her room without as much as a word to Happy. She was actually somewhat surprised he didn't protest not saying goodbye but he was silent as she got Emma in clean comfortable clothing for her nap.

--

I had to cut this chapter in half, part two is on the way! Xoxo