Chapter 29

Happy went to grab Benny, knowing the local chapter had the cops on their payroll, and his cut before heading to the police station. His hands were shaking, still, as he thought about the mess and the guy he blamed wholeheartedly. Happy couldn’t see he put the entire ordeal into motion months before.  

After Rory’s meltdown over Emma being with Benny and his old lady, Happy almost brought her along but he knew that was dangerous. Following Benny they turned out and headed toward the station house. The arresting officers didn't officially charge Rory, not yet, they were still interviewing Ryder when Happy arrived. 

“Aurora Harvelle.” Happy slapped some cash on the woman’s desk. “I'm here to bail her out.” 

Without so much as acknowledging him, the woman picked up her phone and made a call. Benny quietly gestured for Happy to back off and take a seat. 

“They want money.” He muttered. “We have them and either they knew they could get more cash by arresting her or they didn't realize you were SOA.” 

“I didn't wear my cut,” Happy said. “Low profile.” 

“There’s your answer.” He shrugged and smoothed out his jeans as they sat. “I’ll talk to em’, girl won't be charged, it'll just cost us.” 

“I got money.” 

“She really worth the trouble?” 

Happy answered with a silent yet scathing stare. Benny didn't speak again until the arresting officer’s superior came to speak with them in his office. 

---

Knocking her head against the cinderblock, Rory closed her eyes and tried not to think about Happy or Ryder but it was almost impossible. Hearing keys jingle she sat up and pulled her sweater back on. When she stood she peeled down the hall to see a cop coming toward her.

"Ms. Harvelle, you're free to go."

"Really?" Wrapping her arms around herself she beamed despite her lack of understanding. "No charges or was my bail posted?"

He looked at her, an indescribable expression on his face, and Rory knew it was more likely that the club had come through for her. She stepped out into the hallway and followed the young officer up the steps. Before she could even see Happy she heard his gravely voice.

"Hap," she raced down the hall and passed the officer. "Thank you." Rory threw her arms around him and admitted, to no one but herself, that she was terrified.

"Remember, you're my girl, I'll always have your back."

She nodded and buried her face in his chest. "Let's go get our baby."

As they entangled their fingers Rory heard Ryder's voice from the direction she'd just come. Benny looked at the patrolman and shook his head, there was no doubt this had been a setup. Just because the Sons had a deal didn't mean the department didn't love to mess with them when they could.

"Rory." She stopped and turned to see Ryder hurrying toward her. "Are you okay? I'm sorry."

"I'm fine." She pressed her palm to his chest and kept him from coming closer. "You don't have to apologize but I have to go get Emma and go home."

"I need to talk to you." His lips were inches from her ear as he whispered harshly. "You need to reevaluate him. He was stalking you, that's not healthy. Whether we date or not I don't want to see that shit happen to you or Emma. Please."

Rory backed up and shook her head. "Why do you care?"

"I saw it happen before."

The pleading tone he used made Rory's blood run cold. "I'm sorry about your nose. Maybe...maybe I'll call you and we can discuss this but please believe me, I am safe."