Chapter 23

Just a shortie!

After Happy's blowup, Rory still didn't begin to pack. It hadn't hit her, she half expected him to come home but after the shooting at Half-Sack's wake, which she thankfully missed by a mere few minutes, she knew it was indeed time to go. Whoever the prospect was that was sent to help, she didn't care enough to catch his name, was boring and it made her miss Half-Sack badly. She'd live with the guilt of his death forever, she was sure of that. Taking a break, she sat with a sleeping Emma in her and Happy's bed.

There was a gentle knock on the door and as Rory look up she saw Happy standing in the doorway.

"Hi." She looked away from him quickly.

"Hey."

"Sorry it's taking so long, I had to find a place and I wasn't sure I was even going to go."

Happy shook his head and leaned his elbow on the dresser. "Nah, it's fine. Did you find somewhere to rent?"

"No. I have very little credit and no job on paper so I'm going to live to John again." She put her hand up as she said it. "Don't start, I have nowhere else to go and you kicked me out."

"I wasn't going to say anything about him." He grumbled, still surprised that she knew him so well. "I don't want you in Oregon though."

"It doesn't matter where you want me, Hap." She spat bitterly. "You want me to leave, you say you don't want me or Emma, pretty much, so you don't get a say."

"I got you a sweet setup in Tucson."

"Tucson?" She asked, skeptically.

"SAMTAZ. They'll look out for you and Emma, we're down there a lot with work anyway, I could see Emma even more than if you were in Oregon."

"I don't get you." She said, gingerly moving Emma from her lap to the bed and standing. "You tell me you wish you never met me, you break up with me, kick me out and tell me you don't want me then you do this. Please, for my sanity, tell me what the fuck is going on in your fucking head."

"I want you." He said immediately. "But I can't risk you two anymore. The more distance here the better, it's safer for everyone."

Rory stood quietly as she tried to search for something to say. It was impossible to respond to, she had too many things to say.

"I don't want to go."

"You won't need to work. I'll pay for everything but if you want a job Benny and Huff can hook you up."

"Happy," she walked closer to him but Happy shook his head. "I love you."

"I love you too, that's why I'm making you go."

"If you feel that way, if you love me, what about us? Maybe we can manage it with distance?" Her hands began to shake as she opened herself up for embarrassment and heartbreak. Happy shrugged and Rory felt a surge of anger flood her. "Forget it, you could barely handle a normal relationship let alone long distance."

Happy took the slight but looked away from her embarrassedly. "I'll be down next weekend to see Emma."

"Fine."

"Ror, I'm sorry."

His honesty was rewarded with a hard slap across the face. "Fuck you."