Chapter 44

Happy went to her appointments, he talked her into treatments and even met with the oncology team during her tour of the facility where she'd be receiving treatment but the morning of her first chemo session she refused his support.

"Just take Emma. I can't drive home, they said I'll be too weak so I'll just need you to drop me off and pick me up."

"Alright." He didn't like it but Happy felt more alien in the last few weeks than he ever had so if it was what she wanted she was going to get it from him. "They said a few hours the other day, right?"

"Yeah." Rory was distant as she grabbed her purse checking and rechecking the contents anxiously. "Maybe you could take her to the park or something?"

"I got work to do. I can see if Gemma or Jax's nanny can manage."

Her shoulders slumped in disappointment but Rory nodded anyway. "Oh okay. I just thought Daddy Daughter time would be nice." She didn't realize that the day was going to be hard for Happy as well and that he needed to wrap his head around their new life. Sticking his head under the hood of a car or a long, winding Harley ride would help with that.

"I'm going to get her packed." He mumbled getting up from the table.

"We should have sex." She stuttered. "I doubt I'll be feeling up to it for a while after and you know, it's important."

Happy pursed his lips and shook his head. "Nah. I'm good."

With tear filed eyes Rory watched Happy disappear upstairs. It was already happening.

--

Rory was terrified. She went through the motions and listened as the nurse explained step by step what she was doing but she was hardly really there. With each passing minute she actually felt sicker and regretted ever even going to the doctor.

Looking around at the other patients Rory felt any hope she had diminish. Lost in the nightmarish thoughts of hair loss, sickness and eventual death Rory felt the time had actually flown by.

"Miss Harvelle?" The nurse smiled sweetly as she removed the IV line. "How are you feeling?"

"Not well." She frowned. "Can you help me to the bathroom?"

The nurse obliged and once the door slowly shut, Rory broke down. She felt like garbage and she swore she could already see a change in her complexion. "I don't want to do this." She whispered as she splashed some cold water on her face.

It didn't take long for someone to come looking. Fearing she may have passed out or was too sick to ask for help the nurse poked her head back in.

"Doing okay?" The nurse asked. "Someone is here for you."

"I'm fine."

Rory blotted her face with a paper towel before following the nurse to the waiting area. Happy was sitting there, his head down, and Rory smiled.

"Hey." She forced a toothy smile.

"Oh hey. You alright?" He stood and took her hand as they moved toward the door.

"I'm good. Much better than expected."

--

This went on for a few weeks. As usual, as soon as they got home Rory went to bed. With Emma still at Jax's with the nanny Happy sat at the table and looked around the empty house. He hated it. He didn't feel normal and he couldn't exactly describe how he felt, although that wasn't unusual, but it wasn't good. Snatching his keys he sped off to the clubhouse to find Tig.

"Brother, you got anything on you?"

Tig grinned and pulled a little bag of pills out. "I missed this side of you, Hap."

"You got anything harder?" He tapped his nose and Tig chuckled unaware of Rory's situation or Happy's confusion.

"No but I can find some. Let's go."