Chapter 7

Six Months Later/Two Days After Emma’s First Birthday

Cleaning up after the last of the guests left Rory grabbed two beers and handed one to Happy. There wasn't many people there, just the club and any children of the members. They ordered pizza and had cake, it was a simple celebration just like most of the other birthday parties.

“I think she's turning out okay considering we’re her parents.” Rory remarked as she tossed the last bit of wrapping paper into the recycling bin.

“You want her to turn out like us?”

“No.” Rory said quickly. “I want her to go to college and be a normal, productive member of society. I don't want her to live with the constant threat.”

Happy didn't ether but there was some pride in the idea she might one day be an old lady. There were some members who participated in extracurricular activities but there were others who didn't, mostly the younger set. Happy wasn't sure he'd mind seeing her with one of them opposed to some civilian. His original hope, Emma being a hermit who never got involved with men, seemed far fetched.

“So she shouldn't follow in her mom’s footsteps?” His hand moved up her shirt and Happy ran his fingers over the tattoo of his name between her breasts. The tail of the Y crept down and lead to the standard old lady design she'd had done on her lower sternum.

“She's too good to be an old lady.” Rory slapped his hand away. “That hurt, you're lucky I even did it.”

“Boo fucking hoo.” He pulled her shirt up and grinned as he looked over the tattoo. “Marking my woman.”

“And I marked my man.” She added and tapped his collarbone where her named was inked into his skin. With a giggle, she stepped away from him and grabbed another beer. “Johnny mentioned taking me and Em out for lunch and to the zoo or something for her birthday.”

“Just you three?”

“Yes. He's scared of you and he knows not to ambush me with Brad again.”

“When?”

“Day after tomorrow.”

Happy pursed his lips and nodded slowly. “I got some shit to do anyway. You should go.”

“Really? It's cool?”

“Yeah. It's cool.”

--

The day had come and Happy begrudgingly watched Rory and Emma pull out from the lot and head toward Oregon.  Turning back, Happy met the others at the bar.

“When's the meeting?”

Piney was complaining about something when Happy asked and Tig was pleased to have someone else to talk to.

“Eleven.” Brushing back his hair he gave Piney a hard look. “Alright, alright, shit we hear ya.”

Grumbling, Piney lumbered away sniffing a cigarette as he went. “What’s that about?”

“He doesn't like making friendly with the Russians.”

Happy nodded. “It was a club vote. It was the kid anyway; he’s gone so it'll be fine. I trust Clay.”

“Obviously Piney doesn't agree.”

“If we cut off business with every crew that fucked us over we wouldn't be making shit.” Bobby added before they all filed into chapel.

--

The girls’ day in Oregon started with lunch, which Emma ate very little of, then taking separate cars they met with Johnny at the zoo. It wasn’t exactly something Rory ever saw herself doing but it felt nice, normal, and she really liked it.