Chapter 42

A few hours later Rory awoke with gasp and cold sweat beading on her forehead. The disoriented feeling she had when waking up or just randomly throughout the day was the worst for her. Reacclimatizing herself, she slowly sat up and checked her phone. There was a text message from Happy, a picture of him and Emma, and instantly Rory began to cry.

She settled and text him back. "I love you both so much."

"Hey," Johnny liked his head in the room. "You must have been exhausted."

"I was." She forced a smile. "Did Brad go?"

Taking he opposite end of the bed, Johnny nodded. "Yeah. He's on call tonight so he had to sleep. I'm kind of surprised to see you two hanging out. It wasn't exactly the uhh best ending to a relationship."

"He's a good man, just has an attitude. I needed help and he was there."

"What did you need help with?"

"I'm not an idiot. I know he told you."

"No. He just led me the way to the right answer." Scooting over Johnny hugged her. "Rory, I'm sorry. No matter what it is, we'll figure it out okay?"

"Thanks." She sniffled.

"You need to tell him."

"No." Rory pushed him back. "And don't you tell him anything. Fatal illnesses aren't Happy's thing. Okay? He went through it with his mom but I don't think he'd stick it out with me. It's different. It already hurts to have sex with him and if you haven't guessed our whole relationship was built on sex for months. He needs it. What's he gonna do when I'm frail and dying? Sit by my side? No, he's not."

"Whoa." Johnny put some space between them almost scared by her sudden attitude. "You said he loves you."

"He does. In his own Happy way."

Rory didn't believe a word she was saying but she was setting herself up for a real possibility. It happened all the time, things like cancer and traumatic accidents ended relationships all the time. She needed to be ready for that even if the chance was slim.

"I know he's an asshole and he's fucking weird but I've also seen him change from possessive to actually caring about you. If this was years ago I'd agree with you but now, no way."

"I guess we'll find out who's right soon enough."

"If you don't tell him, Rory, I swear to God I will."

--

Rory didn't fight Johnny, although she wanted to, she knew he was right. She left later, purposely, hoping Happy would be asleep when she arrived home but she walked in to see him zoned out in front of the TV with a beer.

"Baby," he reached out as she dropped her purse on the table. "Come here."

"Hi." She sat on his lap and quietly cursed that doctor. Her hip and her chest were much more than just sore. "Miss me?"

"So fucking much." He was already kissing her neck.

"How's Emma." She pushed back and smiled. "Did you guys have a nice day?"

"Uhh, yeah, it was fine." Either Happy didn't get the hint or he didn't care. He slipped his hand up her shirt.

"I'm really tired." When she got up Happy grabbed her hips to pull her back onto his lap but she cried out and slapped him away.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said trying not to cry. "I smashed my hip into a parking barrier, it just really hurts."

She headed for the steps but he followed after her and yanked her wrist, pulling her closer. "Tell me what the fuck is going on with you."

"Nothing."

"You're a goddamn liar." He sneered clearly furious with her.

"Please don't be mad."

"Tell me."

"I'm sick," she sobbed.

"Sick?" He stepped impossible close to her and held her face in his hand. "What is it?"

"Cancer, leukemia probably." She could see how angry he was, his eyes squinted as he stared at her, almost through her. "I'm sorry."

"You should be. You shoulda told me."

"I know. I was scared."

The words were muffled as he pulled her into his chest and held her. Happy was scared, an emotion he hardly ever felt, and he swore if he just held her tight enough she'd be okay.

"Is that where you were today, the doctor?"

"Yeah. I'll know in a few days. Happy you can't tell anyone. Make something up, I don't care, just do not tell anyone."

"I gotta tell Clay." He said quickly. "If I need to go with you to the doctor or if I have to take Emma to work, he's gotta know."

"What?" She stepped back and examined him for some clue he was joking. "You mean that?"

"Yeah. What are you thinking?"

She began to laugh as tears soaked her cheeks. "I thought you were going to leave me. I didn't think you'd do this."

Highly offended be shook his head with a stern expression. "Even if I didn't love you, I'm fucking loyal, Rory. I'm not going anywhere."