Chapter 46

"Fuck. Look at me."

Rory hadn't touched her hair but the morning of her consultation with Dr. Sandusky she needed to shower and by the time she was done her hair was gone. What little remained she buzzed off with Happy's clippers. She knew it would happen there was no stopping but when he looked at herself in the mirror her broke into tears.

"You alright, little girl?"

"No," she sputtered. "Please don't come in, Hap."

"What's wrong?" His hand as on the doorknob ignoring her request.

"Nothing." She said sadly unsure of what else to say. "It's fine."

When he opened the door she gasped, startled, and looked at him with such self hatred in her eyes Happy could feel it. "Shit baby," he looked her nude body up and down. "I kind of like it."

"Shut up you asshole."

"I mean it." He said earnestly. "I think it's kind of hot."

"I hate you."

He shrugged. "I love you and your bald head."

"It'll grow back." Her bottom lip was pushed out as she hugged him. "Right?"

"Right." His hands roamed down her back to her ass. "How are you feeling?"

"Not as horny as you."

"Too soon?"

"A little." Slowly, with her eyes locked on his, she sank down her to knees and began to work at his buckle. "Is it weird?" She asked pointing to her head.

"No, just suck my fucking dick, Rory."

-

Happy and Rory sat in Dr Sandusky's office anxiously awaiting her arrival. It was barely five minutes that felt like an eternity.

"Do you like the hat?" Rory asked as she look up at him, his oversized SOA baseball cap hanging down over her eyes.

"We'll get you something better, cue ball."

"So I guess you don't like it?" She laughed and nodded. "I don't like it either it's okay."

"Miss Harvelle, Mr. Lowman," the doctor entered with a bright smile. "It's good to see you under these circumstances."

"What's it say?" Rory pointed to the papers in her hand as she sat behind her desk. "I'm sorry I'm just freaking out."

"I'm not using the big R word but your blood tests are amazing, honestly. AML treatment, in your age group with patients in such good health, leading to remission is seen in upwards of 70% of cases so it's not rare but I'm just surprised to see this in only six months."

"Thank God," Rory sighed as she looked at Happy. He just smiled and nodded, quiet and somewhat creepy as usual. "So what's the plan?"

"I want you back in this week for treatment, then another blood draw and I'll reexamine. If we let you go now I don't trust it wouldn't rebound so we want to be sure you're cancer free before we stop the chemo."

"Okay." Rory beamed.

"Her plumbing," Happy grumbled, "Is there some way to know if the chemo messed with that?"

"My fertility." Rory laughed at Happy's description. "We have big plans for remission, if it happens of course."

"We won't know but with such a short course I wouldn't even recommend testing or a fertility specialist right away. When you get the clear," she said in a stern tone, "try conceiving and if there's an issue after six months you can go from there."

"Thank you so much."

"You're welcome. These appointments are some of my favorites, congratulations."

-

"Why'd you ask the doctor about that shit?" Rory asked as they made their way home. Usually Happy kept his mouth shut and his question made her think in more than a few ways.

He shrugged, his dark eyes checking the side mirror as he changed lanes. "I know you want another baby."

"I still don't believe you want to get married." She stuck her tongue out at him.

"I don't want to get married." He said simply. "I just want to lock this down. Do it right. I don't do shit half-assed and this is half-assed."

"You're so sweet."

"Plus you're mine, only right I have my name on you."

"You already do." She pointed to her cleavage. "I want to marry you. This has been crazy and I'm tired of being your girlfriend. It's time we grow the hell up, right?"

"Yeah. Sure."

Rory smiled knowing it was far deeper than either of them were admitting. "Okay then."

"Wait, what did we decide?" He glanced at her but Rory just shrugged with a silly grin. "Alright, let's do it then."

-

DAMN. Everyone is getting hitched! I did not plan it to line up like this! Only. Few more chapters! 😢😢Xo