Chapter 15 IS DAD OKAY?

Cassy's POV
The operation was supposed to last for only 3 hours. It had been 4. Maybe I was fretting needlessly but, it was still nothing compared to Rumes.

As soon as the three hours had ended, he had begun pacing back and forth in front of the operation room. Occasional tears escaped his eyes.

His posture was slouched. There was no part of him that looked calm at the least.

He needed to stop thinking for a little time. He would get insane otherwise.

"Rumes. " I called out to him as loud as I can be in a hospital.

"Rumes?"

No answer.

"RUMES!" I shouted so loud that all heads turned to me. An old man in a wheelchair with his head bent because of neck fracture looked at me like I just twisted his neck. I gave him an apolegetic look.

"Yeah?" He asked, still distant.

"Sit." I said softly.

He shook his head.

I sighed.

I went up and grabbed his arm and dragged him back to sit. He didn't even retaliate.

He sat with a distasteful look on his face.
I didn't know what to talk about now. Outside the window, the sun had gone, and the stars twinkled.

I wish I could tell him how I knew he felt. I didn't. My parents died when I was very young, I didn't even remember them properly.

Where is Rumes' mother? Had his parents been divorced or something?

"Where is Mr. Clark's wife?" I asked him. I had been very specific to not use 'your mother' in case his father remarried and he didn't like to take her as his mother. That had happened to me twice and I knew to not make that mistake again.

"Mom?"

"Will she be coming?" I asked softly.

But after a pause, he said, "If you want to go you can go."

"No, no!" I quickly responded. "I asked only because I thought that she might be more of a support than anyone else, right? I would have stayed even if she came... if- if you wanted me to."

He smiled slightly. "I wouldn't want you to go. But, why are you helping me, you kind of hate me, right? Don't say it's because you are so kind. There is always more of a reason."

Because as far as I can remember, I think half the time about you. I don't know why. You struck a chord. Maybe, maybe I am attracted to you more than I am to Jason. No, no, no. What the hell am I thinking?

Thankfully, I was saved from answering uttering because the doctor came in at just that moment.

Rumes jumped quickly from his seat. I stood up more slowly.

"Doctor? Is everything fine?"

"Yes, thankfully because the payment was done on time and we were able to start the operation. Had we delayed even a little more, Mr. Clark, your father's situation would have become very unstable. All thanks to this young lady. "

I smiled uncomfortably. "No, doctor. I just did my job. I wasn't the one holding a knife in the operation theatre."

He smiled sympathetically. Maybe doctors were just used to smiling like that.

Rumes thanked the doctor. "When can I see him?"

"He would be regaining consciousness in 5-6 hours."

"And what about Emily's father, doctor?" Rumes asked. Quietly.

Surprised, I looked at him. He hadn't said anything about Emily even once.

"He is okay, too. Listen Mr. Clark, I know it's not my place to interfere with your personal matters, but I'd like to tell you, when Ms. Anderson here was paying, Emily silently came to me and told me to use the money all on your father. She said that she is ready to sacrifice her father if that meant that you will not be alone. Thankfully, it did not come to that. I will only say that maybe you should talk to her. That girl did not look very well."

He was looking dazed, amazed and guilty at the same time. But his jaw clenched at the suggestion which the doctor gave.

I agreed with the doctor, Emily loved him more than even any sibling would. She didn't deserve this hatred.

I looked at Rumes and willed him to look at me. I didn't need to, he was already looking at me, searching my face for suggestion, advice. I gave him a small nod and smiled.

He blinked twice and finally he said quietly, "Fine I will talk to Emily."