Chapter 30 THANK YOU

Rumes POV
"Somebody is here to see you." June came into my office to announce it.

"Who?"

"The new employee... That-"

I sighed. It must be Tara again. "Tell her to see me later." June walked out but returned two minutes later.

"She says it's important and that she needs-"

"Fine! Send her in." What is everyone's problem?

Two minutes later, Tara walked in and I didn't look up for good measure. But, the voice that spoke wasn't Tara's.

"Hi... Ummm. Rumes?"

My neck snapped up to see Cassy standing in front of the door.

"What are you doing here?"

She gave a small laugh. "You seem to be asking that question a lot nowadays. I thought your secretary just told you. Didn't Natalie give you a message?"

"I must have missed it," I said, never taking my eyes off her. I had so many conflicted feelings about her, it felt humanly impossible. I was still very very attracted to her. But, what were those little emotions sprouting wings?

"Oh."

"Sit, Cassy."

She sat down and looked at me as if scared of my reaction.

"Are you okay, Cassy?" I asked genuinely concerned.

"What? Oh, yeah. I just... Nothing actually. Natalie wants the VIP guest list for the ball."

"It's with June."

Cass blinked twice and suddenly got up. "That's your secretary, right? I will take it from her. Thanks for your time. And, sorry for disturbing you."

I laughed. "Sorry for disturbing me? Cassy, after all you've done for me? And that reminds me, I never got around to saying Thank You."

She looked like she was in a trance.
"Think of it as compensation."

I frowned. "Compensation for what?"

"Nothing!" Just at that moment, her phone rang. "Rumes, I gotta go. Thanks a lot."

She left making me wonder what she was talking about.

Cassy's POV
When I reached home, I found a big bouquet of roses and some yellow flowers sitting on the table. It was surrounded with ribbons and was too beautiful for words. Not to mention the amazing aroma. Just beside that were kept a dozen chocolate boxes. What on earth...?

I walked to the bouquet, trying to find a card or something that would tell me who sent it. There it was.

Thanks a lot Cassy.
-R. C.

Rumes Clark. An uncontrollable smile broke out on my face. And, as soon as it did, I remembered our connection, and it dropped off.

I wasn't sure what I was doing, where was I going with this. What is happening?

I kept a box of chocolate for myself and gave the rest to an adoption house nearby. Taking the gigantic amount of flowers, I dumped them in my living room, promising myself to arrange them neatly later. I had to check on Aunt to make sure she was okay. My working hours here were not very long and along with some of my salary, her own money provided more than enough for her medications. We just couldn't afford a personal nurse. Funny, because that was what I was for one full day to someone else.

She was sleeping peacefully, a photo in her hands. Curious, I held out my hand  and gently pried her fingers from the photograph. It was of a man I didn't recognize but he definitely was giving me some deja vu vibes. I would have asked about him later but if Aunt herself didn't want to tell me about it, then this must be something private.

I returned to the living room, a fantasy novel in one hand, a cup of green tea in the other. But before I could sit comfortably and relax, my cell phone beeped.

The Ball is next week, sweetie. Exactly seven days! You will be working a little too much this week, darling. Please arrive an hour early tomorrow.
- Natalie

I sighed in disappointed- I was a fool to think I could relax.

***

"Sweetie, I am so glad you could make it. You are so dedicated, it is amazing to have you here. Anyway, here you go." Natalie handed me a printed sheet with the layout of curtains and flowers.it was basically a virtual blueprint of what should be where.

"They are arranging the curtains today and tomorrow. It is a long work. I will go and fix the menu. Meanwhile, even though the workers know what to do, can you please oversee it and make sure everything is done according to this, sweetie?"
Natalie asked.

I nodded sincerely, this at least I could do.

"I will not be meeting you till day after tomorrow. So you will have to manage the whole thing, okay? Call me if there 's a problem- which is major. Am i forgetting something? Hmmm.... Aah! Rumes will drop by tomorrow to see how things are going." In a very suggestive manner, she lifted her eyebrows in amusement. "I wonder why, he has never taken an interest in this before."

I tried not to react but dammit, my lips have a mind of their own. They stretched into a smile before I could properly even form thoughts.

_______________________________________
I know. I KNOW.
TRUST ME.
I am the worst and the most unpunctual writer ever.
I am so sorry. I am trying very hard to wind this up nicely even though it is still stuck in the middle.
However, I am not going to abandon this work.
Anyway, hope you are liking this story.
Please vote, comment and follow by taking out two seconds. It really means a lot.
K R Y S T L E