Chapter 24 ME TOO

Rumes POV
I had decided to talk to Emily. I can't delay this anymore. Otherwise, it will never happen.

I am not going to lie. I was damn scared.

I knew she was in her apartment right now. I also knew where her apartment was. The finding-her part was easy. The talking part? Not so much.

Parking my car in the designated area, I got out, sweating a bit. I wasn't this nervous on the first day of my new job.

I knocked 3 times on her door. Waiting. Nobody came out. I raised my hand to knock the door again, which took a lot of courage, mind you, when the door was barged open on my face.

"What the -" Emily muttered, when she saw me. The words died on her lips and her mouth snapped shut. She looked at me, too shocked for words. I had no idea what to say, so I didn't say anything. I was pretty sure my face had kind of rearranged itself to form the ohmygod look.

I was waiting for her to say something, when I suddenly remembered that I was the one who had to do the talking.

"Emily..."

She didn't say anything. She was just staring at my face. Her hands twitched and I was sure she was going to slap me, when she stepped back and motioned me to come inside.

Her apartment but neat. It was neat only because there weren't things in here to fill it with. She had a small coffee table, a pair of sofas and a TV. There was a chester in here but nothing too fancy. Nothing like my apartment. I was overcome with guilt. All the while I was living like a prince, my cousin lived like this. Bared of anything luxurious.

I pursed my lips.

"It's not that bad of a place." she said quietly.

My eyes closed, realizing how wrong it must seemed like.

"That's not-"

"It's okay. Sit, please."

I took my position on one of her sofas, waiting for her to sit on the other. She didn't. She was still standing, very still.

"Emily- sit please."

She took a deep shuddering breath and shook her head. Was I scaring her?

"Emily-" I stood up.

She flinched. "Look, Rumes. Please don't make it hard for me. What is it you want? Do you want your money back?"

This was insane. "What! No."

"Then what is it?" she asked desperately.

"I just came here to talk to you. To apologize." She looked stunned.

I smiled slightly. "It's been a long time, don't you think?"

"A long time?!" She shrieked. I wanted to smile. She hadn't changed a lot.

"6 years is not long enough for you?"

She looked like she wanted to snap at me- just like the old times, but something stopped her.

I realized that nothing has been good between us for a long long time, and it would take time for it become that way- if at all, it is possible.

"Oh what would I do to- you know..."
I said meekly.

She was still staring at me intently. "I do, actually."

She shook her long hair, and said, "Rumes, I am so sorry for that time. I just, you have to understand that it was- it was not my fault. I didn't want to lose you and you just sort of walked away. I was - I was- so-" She sobbed as she sat down on a chair. 

I just went forward and hugged her. I hugged her tightly. Like you would hug any family member. She clutched on me with her hands, repeating over and over again, "I am sorry."

And, I just whispered in her hair. "Me too. Trust me, me too. "

Cassy's POV
"Your aunt is not doing very well." the doctor told me as he came out of her room.

My fingers were on my neck. I could feel my pulse beating rapidly beneath my skin. "What do you mean, doctor?"

"You said that when you came back home, she was not here and when she came back, she started vomiting."

"Yes." I confirmed.

"Well- as you know it's never a good sign if heart patients start suddenly getting ill. Bring her to the lab. It's better we conduct some scans. Now would be a good time." He started walking back out the door.

"Wait! Doctor. You can still give me rough idea of what can probably be going on with her." I asked desperately.

He licked his lips. "Well- judging by your aunt's condition, I'd say that if she doesn't recover soon, she won't have much time."

I nodded numbly.

Closing the door after the doctor left, I stood against it.

It was all my fault. I wasn't taking good enough care of her. I had tried my best to juggle work, Hospital, my aunt, Rumes, Jason, everything in the perfect balance. It wasn't happening.

I will have to do something. Fast. Or I could lose another person. Again.

And, I don't think I could handle it. Not after my parents, Rumes, Jason. Not ever again.

Rumes POV
"A vanilla for me and a chocolate for her please." I told the ice cream vendor and saw Emily smirking at me.

"What?" I asked self-conscious.

"Nothing." She put on the perfect poker face.

I sighed. "Oh, come on Emily, we really need to not you know... not act distant again."

She pursed her lips.

"Oh, c'mon Emy tell me." I grinned, calling her by her old nickname again. 

She looked surprised -pleasantly so. "Nothing, I was just thinking how some things never change. how you'd still remember my favorite ice cream flavor. How yours is still Vanilla." She grinned hugely. "You like it so much, you even got your hair look Vanilla."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "If you have to compare my hair to an ice-cream, compare it to butterscotch or something. Not Vanilla."

She laughed. I found myself smiling. I had missed this one-on-one with my best friend.

She took a bite of her ice cream. "Umm... Yum. And what should I call Cassy's hair? Blackcurrant? It's one of your favorite flavors too. " She smiled innocently at me.

I arched an eyebrow. "And what do you mean by that?"

She shook her head, smiling. "Well Rumes, if you are that much of an idiot, then it's not my fault."

I was growing confused now. "What?"

She sighed mockingly. "You see, somebody sitting on the moon can see that you like Cassandra."

"You're delusional, I don't like her."

"Yeah, and pizzas are not Italian."

I frowned.

I don't like her. Do I? I mean, not emotionally. I mean, I wanted to sleep with her, no denying there. But that's it. Isn't it?

Or is it?

"Emily, I don't like her. Oh, stop giggling."

________________________________________
Hello fellas!
So the tone in this book needed to lighten up. I hope I did something along the same lines.

Please vote, comment and share. I would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank You!