Chapter 14 NOT AGAIN

Rumes' POV
This is so not happening! First Mom and now, Dad? No. I couldn't let this happen.

I rushed into the hospital door, frantically looking for my cousin, Emily.

As much as I wanted to blame her, it wasn't her fault. But it's human nature and that part of my brain knew that even though it wasn't her fault, I would probably lash out at her. I shut that part down.

Guess, who was there to improve my mood?

Cassandra Anderson.

Anderson.

Anderson?

Anderson?

No no no no no.

I didn't have time to think about that right now.

She got up and walked to me, sympathy clearly visible in her eyes. She bit her lip and said, "Hi."

I nodded slightly in response.

"Your father is in Room 313."

Thank God she didn't waste time. I would've been lashing out at her instead. I ran off to meet him but her next words stopped me dead in the tracks.

"He is critical. He's not waking up."

No. I think I shook my head slightly, not believing a word she said.

"If the operation is successful, there is a chance he would survive."

I needed to sit. My legs couldn't support my weight.

My father can't leave me. He can't. He knows I am not someone who can survive alone. He won't leave me, would he? He has to fight.

But that didn't mean that I wasn't scared. I was scared. Very much so.

At least I got to know about my mother's death after she passed away. I was helpless but this was just waiting. I couldn't do anything while he fought.

I hated it- being so helpless. I could do nothing. Fuck, I couldn't even stand.

Cass must have sensed it because I faintly remembered two hands sitting me down.

"Do you want something?" She asked so sweetly that, for a second she didn't look like her angry, grumpy self.

I almost imagined her in a pearly white dress with twisted braided hairs. She was looking like an angel. Or maybe, I was just hallucinating way too much.

My mind was just looking for some distraction from the despair. Cassandra Anderson was no angel, not if my hunch was right. And yet, I wasn't sure.

Without making eye contact, I said, "Water?"

She nodded and asked me to wait a couple seconds.

Watching her retreating figure glide past the reception, a thought popped into my mind.

They haven't asked me for payment.

Hospitals always ask for money before committing to any kind of patient, regardless of the condition of the patient.

When she returned with a glass in hand, I asked, "Did someone pay already?"

Her eyes widened and she gulped down. I was right. But who would pay?

Emily wouldn't pay. She couldn't afford to. Maybe she didn't have enough money for even her father.

Looking closely at her I saw that one emotion on her face I never expected to see- uncertainty. About what? It's not like some random guy walked through the doors and paid and went away leaving them uncertain as to who exactly paid the bills. Or it simply meant that she didn't know if the payment had been done or not.

She licked her lips, not in the sexy way , but in a I-did-not-want-to-face-the-question-you-dick way. Not that the reason mattered.

She looked me in the eyes and gulped again, looking down. Making me narrow my eyes at her.

"I did."

I was going to say 'Good Joke' but realized she wasn't joking.

"You?" I asked in a very flat voice.

"Yeah."

Cassy's POV
"Yeah." I looked down. Of course, he didn't believe me. "Ivamsmorry?"

I didn't attempt repeating it in a clear voice. I did a good thing but was it even my place? It was, right?

"Am sorry?" He asked.

"Yes."

"No, what did you say? I couldn't catch it."

This was going to be bad. Maybe. Heaving a sigh, I said, "Look I am sorry, if I hurt your male ego or something-"

"Cass-"

"No. Listen. I just did it because Em didn't have any money. Doctors weren't willing to perform surgery without one. So, I just paid because time was running out. He could've died. We tried using your name but they thought we were lying. I tried calling you but you weren't picking up. I really didn't want to anger you-"

"It's not-"

"I told you to let me finish." I stated firmly. "Look, please don't be angry but your father was on his deathbed. And, I really didn't think about your reaction I ju-"

And I was stopped by a heart-stopping, gut warming kiss. The softest, best kiss. It was short, but caused goosebumps to erupt throughout my body.

He kissed me.

When he pulled back after like 5-7 seconds, he smiled sheepishly and said, "You weren't stopping."

That was how I shared my first kiss with him. In public, in a hospital, when his father was in a life or death situation.

I decided against pushing this further. It felt good, but that did not mean I was cheating on Jason. I was not. I would not.

I just smiled and shook my head. It was nothing. It meant nothing.

I didn't stop it. And, that made me wonder, had I recovered my shock, would I have responded?

"Sorry." I muttered lowly. "But don't kiss me again Rumes."

He smiled weakly and said, "Fine. Not until you ask me too."

I looked away. I could see it in his eyes. A silent premise and the determined charisma that said he would make it happen.

***
When I had told Rumes about his dad, he had seemed crushed. You could see the remnants of his tough guy act wear away. He looked vulnerable. And, I had that urge to protect him. Emotionally and even physically. I had learnt to fight.

Aside from that, his pain and hurt changed my behaviour towards him, almost as a natural response.

I had expected a detached, business-like Rumes to show up who wore his infamous poker face. Instead, came in the torn and pained Rumes, who had endured sufferings like any human in the past. He was in despair and needed healing. I didn't think any of his relatives would come for that. Maybe Em could, but she was too busy avoiding talking with Rumes at all costs. I still had no idea why.

And, Rumes was left alone. All alone. I knew how it feels like when you were alone. Half my life had been like that.

I decided to forgive Rumes, give him the benefit of my doubt. I didn't know why but it was gut instinct. Maybe he wasn't as much of an asshole as he pretended to be.

After all, he only asked for a night. It may have offended me more than others, because of my past personal experience.
But I could forgive him. And, maybe help him overcome his grief. Maybe, become his friend too.

I had promised Emily.

But that wasn't all, my heart reached out to him. I broke one heart, maybe I'd have to mend a thousand others.
___________________________________________
I know. I know. I am a bitch because I haven't updated since a week maybe. But this chapter is longer than the others. Almost 1230 words, while the rest of them are only 800 words or something. So, maybe I made that up to you. Sorry again
K R Y S T L E
XOXO