/ 46 /

Carl's First Sentencing / South Side Rules

"Hey, wake up." Lip gently shakes me. "Nobody can reach Fiona so you're going have to meet with Carl and his lawyer."

"Why can't you do it?" I ask.

"I gotta go to class, I'm already late." He whispers, not wanting to wake up Mickey and Ian. "Can you do it?"

"Yeah, sure." I nod.

"Great, I'll see you later." He says before rushing out.

I find the most formal thing to wear, and quickly get changed.

I'm stood, brushing my teeth, at the bathroom
sink when Sammi walks in.

I roll my eyes. "What are you still doing here?"

"Shouldn't Fiona be getting ready to meet with the lawyer?" She questions.

"Fiona's busy, I'm going instead." I tell her.

Sammi forces a laugh. "Oh, yeah, as if you didn't give him the idea to begin with."

"Spare me, Sammi. Your kid did not get arrested because of me." I respond.

"Yes he did, you and your thug brother are the reason. In one fell swoop, you Gallaghers managed to ruin his whole future." She says.

"Let's be honest, Chuckie was not exactly destined for great things. Pack your shit and get out." I shove past her, making my way out of the bathroom.

"I hope they throw the book at Carl. I hope the other kids in juvie toss his salad. Or make him toss theirs, whichever's worse." Sammi slams the door shut.

I walk downstairs and begin to make myself some coffee.

"Morning." I smile when Ian rushes downstairs, a baseball bat in his hand.

"Move the couch in front of the door, so they can't get it in." He struggles to push the sofa.

"Who?" I question.

"Hey, sleeping!" Frank shouts.

"Help me." He grunts as he continues to try and move the sofa.

He then picks up the bat again and rushes into the kitchen.

"They're coming to get me!" He opens the door and peeks out.

"Nobody is coming for you." Mickey walks in.

"Somebody muzzle that kid!" Frank shouts from the living room.

Just as Debbie opens the door and steps out of the bathroom, Ian turns around and swings his bat in her direction, the bat skimming her head.

"Fuck." Mickey mutter as I gasp.

"Hey, hey." Mickey takes the bat out of his hands and opens the door. "There is nobody out there! Fucking look!"

"Get over here." Mickey drags him over to the front door.

"Ian, it's only going to get worse." I tell him.