/ 50 /

Refugees / Pimp's Paradise / Be a Good Boy, Come for Grandma

After loosing the house at the auction, we were getting ready to leave soon.

"It's out crib!" Carl exclaims.

"Not anymore." Fiona replies.

"Says who?" He questions.

"State of Illinois." I answer.

"They can't just take it from us. Those are the stairs where I broke my arm for the first time." Carl points.

"Yeah, and the second. Oh, and the fifth." I add.

"This table is where Liam was born." He says.

"There's nothing we can do." Fiona responds. "Look, we don't have the luxury to sit around and get weepy. We need a place to live."

"Let's see them try to get Nick and I out. We'll take positions up at the upstairs windows with M16s." Carl smirks at his plan.

"Carl." Fiona sighs.

"Throw Liam at the bottom of the stairs with some grenades." He continues.

"Or, we could strap Frank up with some explosives and throw him off the roof." I smile.

"You two need to realise that the house is gone. It's over. We need to move on." Fiona says. "We can't pay anymore than we already were."

"We were barely making ends meet as it was." I reply.

"Why you acting like we ain't got no lettuce?" Carl asks.

"Lettuce?" Fiona questions.

"Cash, money." He explains. "Say the word, I'll make it rain up in here."

"I told you, I'm not taking your dirty money." Fiona responds.

I scoff and roll my eyes. "It must be wonderful living in your little fantasy world where unicorns slide down magical rainbows, and everybody on the South Side gets by on the up and up. What do you think this neighbourhood runs on?"

The front door then opens and an unfamiliar family walks in.

"Yo! What the hell?" Fiona shouts.

"I didn't realise the house was still occupied." The man speaks.

"Oh, shit. You're the new owners." Fiona let's out a sigh.

"We're just here to take a few measurements. For the kids' beds, tile for the bathroom." He says.

"We're in the process of moving out, but we've been here since before I was even born. It's a lot of stuff to get together." Fiona tells him.

"Contractors aren't coming till next week, if you want to take your time." He replies.

"Thanks. That's really nice of you." Fiona softly smiles.

"Hey, have you ever seen what a machete can do to the human body?" Carl interrupts.

"Not a pretty sight." I join in.