/ 39 /

Lazarus

As I turn over in my bed, I feel an arm beside me. I quickly lift my head my up and see a sleeping Aaliyah. I then realise that we're also in Fiona's room.

I get up and put on some clothes, also adding a coat because the house was absolutely freezing.

As I quietly step out of the room, trying not to disturb Aaliyah from her sleep, Debbie walks out of the bathroom.

"It's fucking freezing. What's up with the heat?" I ask her.

"Fiona has us turning it down at night, save on gas." Debbie answers.

"Christ. I can almost see my breath." I shiver.

"Yeah, you will be able to soon. Gas company's cutting us off on Friday." Debbie replies.

"Fiona didn't pay it?" I question.

"She paid what she could." Debbie says.

"All right, well, I'll find some other ways to get money." I tell her.

"Is the girl you came home with last night staying?" Debbie asks.

"I came back home with her?" I question.

"You guys were super drunk. She's nice, I like her." Debbie says before walking into her room.

I walk back into my own room and shake Carl's leg. "Yo, up. School."

I then look over at Chuckie, who is asleep on Ian's bed. "What are we supposed to do with him?"

Carl sits up on his bed. "We could drop him off at the butcher over at the Food 4 Less, see if they'll chop him up for some bacon."

"We're having bacon for breakfast?" Bonnie sits up.

"Nah, we're having Chuckie." Carl jokes.

"Oh, cool." Bonnie jumps off the bed and walks to the bathroom.

"She's sleeping with you now?" I question.

"Your girlfriend sleeps with you." He responds.

"Yeah, Aaliyah isn't twelve." I reply.

"Bonnie's thirteen." Carl says.

"I still don't want her sleeping with you." I tell him.

"I already told you, she doesn't want to have sex." Carl then walks out of the room.

As I walk through the living room, I almost trip on a bunch of kids, Bonnie's siblings.

"Do we have any coffee?" I ask Debbie.

"Oh, yeah." She passes me a coffee.

I take the mug out of her hands, "Thanks."

"Outstanding bills." Debbie sets a bunch of them in front of me.

I quickly flick through them. "Jesus. What, electric and rent are late too? All right, can you get to the check-cashing place? Buy some money orders today?"