/ 22 /

The Helpful Gallaghers

"What's with the suitcase and the sleeping bag?" I ask as I walk downstairs.

"Carl's going camping, Frank won a ticket in some raffle." Fiona tells me.

I look over at Carl, who is now bald. "What the fuck happened to your hair?"

"Lice." Frank suspiciously answers for him.

"Lovely." I mutter. "Has anyone seen Mandy?"

"She left really early, even I wasn't up." Fiona says.

"What's Hymie doing here?" Ian asks Frank.

"I'm babysitting." He tells him.

"Sheila popping pills again?" Lip laughs.

"Sheila happens to think very highly of my ability to raise bright, independent children." Frank says.

Fiona sighs. "You can't leave Hymie here today."

"I gotta go and find Mandy." I shake Carl's shoulder. "How long you away for?"

"A week." He tells me.

"I'll see you then." I smile.

"Wait, Morgan." Carl says just as I'm about to leave.

He wraps his arms around. "I just wanna say thanks for being a great sister. I may have never said that, but now I did."

"Are you okay, Carl?" I ask him, confused on why he was acting as if I would never see him again.

"Yeah." He says before walking off.

---

I find Mandy sitting out on the porch of her house.

"You left early." I sit down beside her.

"My half sister, Molly, called. Her mom died." Mandy says.

"You have a sister?" I ask.

"Half." She corrects.

"Where is she?" I then ask.

"In Milwaukee." Mandy tells me. "She thinks Dad is going to come and bring her back home."

"Is he?" I ask.

"No." She says.

"I don't know, maybe you should call her, tell her he's not coming?" I suggest.

Mandy looks at me. "No call answers that question just as good as a call does."

"So you're cool with your sister going in the foster care system?" I question.

"The system is better than here." She says.

"Yeah, says the girl who miraculously has never been in the system." I say. "Does she have any other relatives?"

"Who knows?" Mandy answers. "Look, it's sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it."

"She seems desperate. I mean, let's see if we could get her. Let's see if we can help her." I tell her.