/ 35 /

Hope Springs Paternal

I walk into the house, Liam resting on my hip. "Hey."

"Hey." Fiona says as we enter the kitchen.

I place Liam into his chair and Fiona immediately goes over to him.

"Hi, my big boy. Did you miss me today? I missed you too." Fiona coos before looking back at me. "You brought dinner, that's great."

"Yeah." I nod.

She walks over to the fridge and starts changing her chart. "That means we can move tonight's mac and cheese to tomorrow, which gives us an extra day of food before we start to panic."

"Panic?" I question.

"Yeah, I got to pay the heat and electric before I buy groceries. It's pretty bleak. I've got a check coming from the cups, but that's gotta cover rent. And food-wise, we're low on everything but macaroni and mayonnaise." She says.

"Wait, so you saved nothing from your job?" I ask.

"I was trying to catch up on old bills." She then looks over at Liam. "How did he do today?"

"Yeah, he's fine." I tell her.

Debbie then walks in through the door, Carl following behind her. "Carl got suspended."

"Shut up, ass-brain." He slaps her arm.

"What?" Fiona glares at him.

"I need someone to go to school with me on Friday morning or I'll be expelled." Carl tells us.

"I can't leave the house yet. They need to reschedule." Fiona says. "Did you tell them I'm stuck at home?"

"No." Carl answers.

"Well, go in tomorrow and tell them I'm sick. I have shingles or mono." She says.

"I'll take you, bruiser. What time?" I ask.

"8am." He tells me.

"Okay, I'll be there." I say.

"Hi, new family." Sammi walks in. "Door was open. I won't stay long. Just want to let you that Dad is at Sheila's house. We're living there for a bit. It's a really great place. Plenty of room, lots of light."

"Thank you so much for the update." I sarcastically say.

"Any of you guys have extra cash?" She asks. "Dad wants money for his surgery."

"Why not get a job?" Fiona questions.

"Right now, my full time career is taking care of Pops before he goes." Sammi replies.

"Well, we're broke. Wish we could help you." Fiona says.

"Okay." Sammi nods. "Doesn't hurt to ask. If anyone wants to stop by, give his morale a boost. Hope can heal."

"Oh yeah, can hope make up for the years of misery that he put us through?" I question.

"Maybe. Come by, find out. He doesn't deserve to go out like this. No one does." She says before walking out.