Chapter 19

"EVERYBODY IN THE WHOLE CELL BLOCK-" Camilo jumped down from the top his cousins bed, making an invisible mic in his hand, "WAS DANCING TO THE JAIL HOUSE ROCK" His sunglasses almost fell a bit off his nose, but he played it cool and held his arms out while singing, "spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone." Mirabel took over, "little Joe was blowing on the slide trombone" she pointed at Antonio, her legs spread out in position. "The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang!" Antonio chimed in, his sunglasses too big for his head.
"The whole rhythm section was the purple gang" I giggled through my singing and we all yelled in choir, "Let's rock! Everybody let's rock" we sang along to the newest Elvis song on the radio, all jumping around in our pile of pillows and madrases we lined up for our sleepover. "Everybody in the whole cell block... WAS DANCING TO THE JAILHOUSE ROCK" Camilo took my hand and spun me around, "number forty-seven said to number three, 'you're the cutest jailbird I ever did see'" he blinked at me, "I sure would be delighted with your company" I smiled into the duet, "come on and do the jailhouse rock with me!" Camilo snickered, we then crazily jumped around having a whole concert in the little nursery.
"LET'S ROCK, EVERYBODY LET'S ROCK" Mirabel jumped from side to side with Antonio in her hands, the boy laughing and having the time of his life.
"Everybody in the whole cell block," I did a few dance moves, Camilo happily jumping around in his own little world. "Was dancing to the jailhouse rock." Camilo acted like he was playing the guitar along with the song.
"Sad sack was sitting on a block of stone" i vocalized with Mirabel, "way over in the corner, weeping all alone" Camilo whooped behind me. "The warden said hey buddy don't you look no square! if you can't find a partner, use a wooden chair, oh let's rock!" I took Mirabels hands and we started running around in a circle, laughing through our singing. Camilo got Antonio up on his shoulders and grooved around in circles, making the little one bounce on top of his shoulders, giggling like crazy. "Everybod-" Our singing got interrupted by Isabela slamming the door open.
"I am TRYING to sleep in here!" She screamed over the sound of Elvis Presley. Her hair was messy and tangled and her eye bags were showing, she was wearing a face mask and a purple nightgown. Camilo had to turn around because he couldn't keep in his laughter at how she looked with her deadly eyes combined with the avocado face mask. "You guys are gonna wake up mom." Dolores' head popped up from behind Isabela. "We'll turn the music down" Mirabel suggested, but Isabela wasn't satisfied with that, "no, you're turning it off! IT'S THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND I NEED MY BEAUTY SLEEP!" Her voice cracked in between the high pitched scream.
"Antonio what are you doing up?" Dolores crouched down in the door frame while Camilo struggled to get Antonio back on the ground from his shoulders. Antonio ran over to his big sister, "let's get you to bed." Dolores took his hand and left.
"I want not another sound from in here, got it?!" She rested her hands on her hips.
"Got it." I mumbled. Not gonna lie, I was a tiny bit scared of her when she acted like this.
"Good. I'm going back to my room now, goodnight." She shut the door again.
"I neEd mY beAutY sLeEp" Camilo shapeshifted into Isabela to mock her, "gosh what a party pooper." He folded his arms in front of him and stuck his tongue out at the door. "Oh well, the fun is over, we might as well turn this off." Mirabel made her way over to the radio.
"Or is it?" Camilo smirked. Evil plans were coming up.
"Oh no what are you thinking?" I asked while crossing my arms with daring eyes.
"Revenge." He let out an evil laughter and rubbed his hands mischievously. I had a bad feeling about this.

We had worked our way up to Isabela's room and sneaked inside, Mirabel took her finger to her lips and whispered a "shhh" even though nobody said anything. "You shhh" Camilo whispered back, receiving a glance from the girl in front.
She placed the radio right next to Isabelas pillow on her bed and shut her lips together in attempt to keep in her laughter. Camilo and I tried not to giggle either as we slid under Isabelas bed. Mirabel did a finger count to us while mouthing the numbers, "three... two...." She held her other hand over the play button and was ready in position to run into hiding, "one." She hit play and Elvis Presley sang on full volume directly into Isabelas ear and Mirabel flew under the bed next to us.
"AAAAARGH" Isabela screamed, "I'M GONNA MURDER YOU, CAMILO" she tossed herself off her bed and stormed right out the door, unaware of our current location. As soon as she slammed the door we all bursted into laughter and rolled around under the bed, Mirabel removed a happy tear from her eyes and I held my hands to my stomach.
"Oh my god she was pissed!" Camilo giggled and slid out from under the bed.

We laughed for three full minutes about it until the door was opened again with a very angry Isabela in the door frame. "Oh shit." Camilo muttered and our laughs turned silent. I quickly looked around for a way out and then saw my opportunity through the window behind us. "Quick, over here!" I opened the window and the three of us hopped out and onto the roof outside before Isabelas vine could grab around our ankles.
"Phew that was close." Mirabel brushed dust off her nightgown and fixed her glasses. "A little too close." Camilo said, he was actually a bit scared of her at the moment I could tell.
"Look! The sun is coming up!" I ran across the unsteady tiles of the roof to get a closer look of the sunrise. The two cousins were right behind me.
"Oh my gosh... it's beautiful." Mirabels eyes were blank and shiny from the light of the sun reflecting on her glasses.
"Isn't it only supposed to come up in a few hours?" Camilo asked while sitting down, Mirabel and I followed and sat down next to him.
"I wish I could fly away." Mirabel quietly spoke after a while of silence.
"Where to?" Camilo asked while leaning back on his arm.
"I don't know... somewhere without expectations, somewhere without disappointment... somewhere where you can just.. be yourself I guess." Mirabel hugged her legs closer to her body and rested her chin on her knees.
"Do you feel pressured, Mirabel?" I carefully asked.
"All the time." She muttered into her arms.
A little silence entered before I opened my mouth again, "you don't have to prove yourself, Mirabel. Just because you have no gift, doesn't mea-"
"Yea and what do you know about that?" She looked me straight in the eye before realizing what she said. My lips slightly parted in shock.
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that" she stuttered, regret filling her heart.
"It's okay. I can't compare me to you because I don't know how you feel... but I know what you think and let me tell you, there is no reason to put this pressure on yourself. You're so much more than what you think, Mirabel. A gift doesn't define you or your purpose, you're put in this world because you're an amazing person to be around." I held her hand and rubbed it like my mom usually does when she's worried about me. ",I mean I've only known you for a few weeks and I love you already" I chuckled, Mirabel let out a little giggle while a tear rolled down her cheek.
"Do you remember how your parents reacted when the casita fell apart?" Camilo asked Mirabel from behind, she turned her head to him and shook it in response.
"They cared more about you than anything. They put you before the house, the magic, heck even their own lives." Camilo's steadily explained. Mirabel sniffled and let herself fall into his arms. They hugged tightly and I caught Camilo secretly shredding a tear into her shoulder. He cared so much for her and I knew he hated to see her like this.
I just watched in silence as they had their moment, I couldn't help but feel a bit out of place, like I didn't really belong at the moment.
"I know how you feel." Camilos shaky voice whispered into Mirabels ear. "No you don't. Nobody understands me..." Mirabel huffed out and let go of the hug, still leaning her head on his shoulder to watch the sunrise. Camilo started to slowly pet her hair and then looked up at me. Our eyes met in silence and we understood each other without saying a word. We were both worried for her.
I felt a bit guilty for some reason. This had nothing to do with me, but I still had that feeling like everything was suddenly my fault. "I'll just leave you two alone." I stood up tiredly. "No, please don't go, I'm sorry I'm being a sad little ass right now." She nervously chuckled and turned to me while quickly wiping her tears with a smile. "It's alright." I answered and let out a yawn.
I felt the tiredness take over, which gave me a genius idea, "hey how about we grab our stuff and have our sleepover up here, on the roof?" A contagious grin widened on my face, "do you think the roof will be alright?" Camilo asked, unsure of how much weight it could hold.
"Don't worry, I come here all the time, it won't break." Mirabel assured him.

We then took our madrases and pillows and got comfy on the top of the house. We watched the sunrise and barely got a few hours of sleep before it was too bright to keep our eyes closed anymore.
And even though I was tired in the morning, I still had a wonderful time with my favorite people that night.