Chapter 14

I woke up with a smile. Last night was magical. After we watched the sun go down, we snuck in at night and giggled our way to each of our doors. We had a silent moment, communicating with only our eyes for a second and Camilo whispered "goodnight princesa." At me and I waved goodnight back with a little smile before going on my tip toes inside the nursery to not wake up Mirabel.

"I swear it felt like I could fly when he pushed me, Mirabel it was amazing!" I laid down flat on my back with a stupid grin on my face. Mirabel giggled at me, before teasing me, "looks like somebody's got a cruuuush" she sat down beside me, making me jump up into a sitting position. "What?! No! Nononono! I would never- I mean whAt?! PFFT nOooOo that's silly Mirabel he's totally not my type" I spat out in a high pitch, twirling a lock of hair around my finger while completely avoiding eye contact. I was the worst liar in history.
"Mhm? Then why are your eyes shaped like hearts?" She smirked at me.
"Allergies." I sighed, while resting my head in my hands. She laughed at that. "Sure buddy, but just so you know, I don't care if you date Camilo, but if you crush his heart, I'll break your legs and make a good potato mash out of it." She pat my back and then stood up.
"Oh." Was all I could come up with.
"I'm joking" she giggled, I nervously chuckled along. "...Kinda"

- time skip to breakfast -

Camilo's pov.

I was towering arepas onto my plate, while humming a happy melody that was stuck in my head. My sister came up beside me and started filling food onto her plate as well. "What were you guys doing last night?" She interrogated me.
I stopped my humming, "just... going for a walk." I cleared my throat.
"Did you kiss?" She gave me a shoulder in my side with a smirk on her face, making me choke on air. "WHAT? No! Ew, no! It's not like that." I tried to keep a straight face. "Right, so then your little poetic speech about how her presence made your heart feel full and how her little freckles remind you of a whole galaxy was just something I made up in my head last night?" She chuckled, my face went glowing red. "I told you to stop spying on me!" My voice cracked mid sentence. "Don't worry I only told Mirabel... and Isabela" she pat my head and walked over to the other side of the food table in front of us. I held my arms out while giving her a wtf look. "Sorry, I'll try to keep it at those two" she gave me an innocent smile. "You know you can't promise that." I mumbled to myself, frowning at the arepa in my hand. She smirked, "I know." And left me to go talk to our mama. If y/n finds out about this, I'm dead.

y/n's pov

I sat down next to Camilo with my plate, receiving weird glances from around the table. I just shook it off, it was probably all in my head.
Camilo gave me a slight smile, "good morning" I said with a smile. "Morning." His eyes were glued to me. I turned my head to say something, but got interrupted by Alma's usual morning speech. I waited for her to look away, to whisper into Camilo's ear.
"Thank you for last night, I had so much fun."
"Me too." He whispered back, keeping an eye on Alma to not get us caught.
I stared at his little cheek, inches away from my mouth. What if I just... kissed him? I thought to myself, knowing damn well I was no where near having the balls to do that.

"Psst" Dolores interrupted my thoughts. I turned to my right, to look at her. "I'll give you two pesos if you hold his hands for at least five minutes from now on." Dolores held her hand up, to whisper at me. "WHAT?" I whisper-shouted back. She smiled at me, while pointing down at Camilo's hand, resting on the table next to me.
"Three pesos?" She tempted. My eyebrows pulled together into a more of concerned look. Was she for real right now?
She just sat there, patiently with a little smile.
"Five." I then whispered back, "deal." Her smile evolved into a smile with teeth showing.
I slowly slid my hand into the palm of Camilo's, my heart racing with the speed of lightning. Camilo turned his confused innocent face at me immediately, looking me right into the eye. My cheeks were flaming hot.
I wanted to let go so hard, until he smiled reassuringly back at me and gave my hand a little squeeze, before turning back to Alma.
I swear I could melt at that moment.
I heard a gasp from the opposite side of the table, Pepa had a giant rainbow, shining over the whole dinner table. She poked Felíx in the side, making him turn to her. She then whispered something into his ear with a big grin, while pointing at Camilo and I's hands. Felíx slowly grew a smile along and turned to whisper into Isabela's ear, while keeping his eyes on the subject. Isabela slowly grew a smirk at us and passed it onto Antonio next to her. The message spread like a plague around the table and soon enough everybody's eyes were on us. I was so embarrassed at this point, I wanted to disappear and never return to look any of them in the eyes again. I turned to look at Dolores like she had just murdered my whole family.
Why did I agree to this without thinking?
I didn't realize the way I was squeezing the life out of Camilo's hands from the nerves. He turned his head at me, studying my face for what I was so concerned about and then realized the whole crowd, staring us down. He quickly let go of my hands with a red face, feeling just as embarrassed as I was.
I wanted to hide my flushed face so bad or just leave the table. I started to fidget with my hands under the table, panicking a bit.
What where they thinking of me, just grabbing his hand like that? No, what was I thinking? Nothing! I didn't think at all! Gosh I was so stupid. I felt the anxiety take over and closed my eyes, to concentrate on something else. I felt a little hand sneak up on mine and gently started playing with my fingers in my lap. My eyes opened, it was Camilo. He must've noticed how panicky I got. The way his finger danced around mine, gave me butterflies. I heard a little squeak from beside me, Dolores whispered into Luisa's ear and this time I didn't care. The comfort of knowing Camilo was here, next to me like this made me feel a lot more confident.