Espoir

Harry looks out of the kitchen of the Burrow, they returned about an hour ago or so. Ron and Hermione have gone upstairs and Arthur and Percy to the ministry. Harry hasn't talked to Percy since showing him a few of his memories, but with time he will change that.

Just then the twins come bursting down the stairs. They take a hold of his arms and drag him outside into the backyard. "So... how did you know-"

"About what would happen?"

Two pairs of blue eyes burning into him, Harry sighs a bit. This is also something he hasn't done but if he wants their loyalty he will have to tell the  the truth. He looks away, thinking about the wording of his next sentence and erecting privacy wards around them and the illusion of talking about Quidditch. In any case he turns his attention back to the twins.

He sighs softly. "Well, I'm sure you have heard of mates and that every magical has one, somewhere out there. But do you know what happens if you don't find them or don't realise in time?"

George shakes his head looking intrigued now. Harry sets his eyes out into the sky, an image of Cedric fills his mind. A small smile tugs the corners of his lips but it quickly vanishes.

"It feels like a part of you has died and you have no way of reclaiming it. The pain always threatens to consume you. I saw what it did to Theo. What it did to me..."

Two sets of hands are placed on his shoulder. "Do you mean to say that you both lost your mates already? But how do you already know who they are?"

"No, at least now they are alive. Neither of them knows the truth and it's also not easy to realise who they are. You just feel a connection to them that feels so natural that you don't even question it." He doesn't answer their question.

A short silence lingers between them, the twins pulling Harry close into an embrace.

"Theres a lot more to the truth than you might think at first glance. Theo knows, he knows how I feel, no, felt. I lost my mate at the end of this year, but I didn't know they were until after I was married to someone else. I always thought our connection was nothing more than an instant friendship. I wasn't in tune with my emotions back then and so I lost them."

Fred and George exchange a look with one another. "Why are you being so cryptic? Just tell us what you mean, we can handle it, right George?"

Said twin nods in return. "Yup, Harry you are like a brother to us, of course you can tell us the truth."

"Thank you, both of you. I didn't do this alone. Both Theo and I are from seven years into the future. We are trying to stop the events from happening, as they only result in pain and suffering. And everything started during our fourth year."

They look baffled, if their open mouthed expressions are anything to go by. "And how did you do it? How did you go back in time so far?"

"An ancient ritual, which requires a sacrifice. Theo was that sacrifice, he died to protect me and I used that for the ritual, which I performed a year later and brought Theo back to life."

The red heads slowly nod, trying to comprehend the situation and get a grasp on their brother's emotions. It's clear as day that he doesn't like talking about the topic.

"You don't have to go into detail, if you don't want to. Just know that we are always on your side, no matter what."

"No it's fine, you deserve to know. Aside from Theo and my mate you are my most favourite people in the world."

"Likewise. But -" Fred trails off smirking at George beside him.

"- who is your mate?"

Harry turns away with a tomato red face. Clearly embarrassed. The twins smirk brighter and nudge him in the shoulders repeatedly.