first task

Cedric was focusing so hard on learning new transfiguration spells the previous evening that some of his nerves left him. They returned in full measure, however, today in the morning. The atmosphere in the school is one of great tension and excitement. Lessons are to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure - though, of course, they don't yet know what they will find there.

Harry and he slept inside the room of Requirement and when Cedric said the story about Granger chasing his mate would be funny and a blast he was not disappointed.

As it turns out, Harry was merely minding his business and was talking to Neville at the Gryffindor table, when Granger came along and started dragging an indignant Harry off. The twins on the other hand got stuck in a conversation with their sister and therefore couldn't help. Neville was left confused and as such, he didn't do anything to stop Granger.

Granger was trying to get Harry back to his "senses" and tell him that he could trust her, that he didn't need to be alone and endure the bullying from half the student body. That she believed he didn't enter himself in that Goblet. Granger indirectly insulted Harry by saying that and Harry was merely trying to shove her away and that he didn't need her. That resulted in Harry running away and Granger hot on his heels in pursuit.

Cedric smiles at the memory of the story, but at the same time his thoughts always travel over to the first task later that day. He's nervous, he's never faced a dragon before. What if he does die in the end? Or even worse if Harry dies? He couldn't live without Harry anymore, he knows this and that's exactly what makes him even more nervous. He chews on his lips as time around him seems to rush past. He can't focus and he knows, he's aware but he can't focus or relax. His anxiety hitting new levels he never knew it could reach. What if... What was worse than losing his mate? He doesn't even know what to doubt anymore, too confused by his anxiety.

One moment he's sitting in his first period and the next he's pacing back and forth inside the tent waiting for Harry to arrive. What should he do? What if he can't transfigure anything in the moment of need? Or what if he faints? That would be embarrassing, not the worst but embarrassing nonetheless. His hands find their way up to his hair as he starts ruffling it. If this were under any circumstances Cedric is certain he would laugh at himself, but like this, he can't muster any amusement.

He takes a few deep breaths, then he hears the flap to the tent open and Harry striding inside with a composed expression. The green-eyed teen sends him a bright smile. Cedric tries to smile back but ends up grimacing instead. He hopes he can still convey his gratitude. He's still nervous, very much so.

Suddenly an all-encompassing warmth spreads throughout his core and magic, tingling all around him. A calmness washes through him and he feels the distinct magic that belongs to his lover. Cedric sends him another smile, this time feeling himself relax into the motion.

Bagman then decides to move up and explain the first task, Cedric moves towards Harry to be a bit closer to his calming presence.

"Well, now we're all here - time to fill you in!" says Bagman brightly, a contrast to all the champions aside from Harry. "When the audience has assembled, I'm going to be offering each of you this bag" - he holds up a small sack of purple silk and shakes it at them - "from which you will each select a small model of the thing you are about to face! There are different - er - varieties, you see. And I have to tell you something else too...ah, yes...your task is to collect the golden egg!"

Cedric nods but his nerves get the better of him and he feels the urge to pace again, his face turning green. Harry sighs and the calming magic becomes stronger around him. Cedric doesn't feel himself calming down, not at all. His emotions battling against the onslaught of magic aimed at him. He stops pacing for a short time, just taking in calming deep breaths. Breathe in and out. Slow and steady.