Chapter 53- Just For Tonight

Declan's POV

Declan's POV

I close the door behind me on the way out. Sitting in the waiting room down the hall are the three of them. Cyrus had his arm draped over Natalie's shoulder, the latter still wiping away some tears off her face. Adam was sitting there bouncing his knee with his hands clasped and staring off into space.

Cyrus shot up the moment he saw me. "Anything?"

I shook my head and Natalie sunk lower into her chair. "I'm going to grab some coffee, do you guys want anything?"

"I'll get some, come sit down," Adam spoke quietly.

"Thanks," I told him, sitting down and rubbing my eyes with sudden exhaustion.

After he was gone Cyrus shifted in his chair. "That's the first time he said something since we've been here."

I thought about that for a second before my phone rang. Caller ID said it was Julie. I was supposed to be home hours ago.

"Hey Julie," I greeted. There was noise in the background. She was probably putting Parker and Evelyn to sleep now.

"I know you like to go off with your friends after practice sometimes but a heads up would be greatly appreciated. Are you safe?"

"I had to take Rowena to the hospital. She got hurt pretty bad."

"What?" She shrieked into the phone. "Stay there, I'm coming right now."

I didn't even have time to respond before the line cut off. I tucked my phone back into my pocket. We stayed quiet for a while.

"Hey, Nat?" She looked up at me. "Why didn't you tell us about the way Jeremey treated you?"

She looked back down at her feet. "Because I thought- actually I knew you guys would do something about it. Row was the only one I told and I made her promise she wouldn't tell anybody." She bit her lip as more tears came. "If I had known he was going to do something like this I would have-" a sob broke her words. "I would have said something a lot sooner. It just wasn't easy to talk about and I didn't want anybody to get hurt because of me... and now she's hurt-"

"Not because of you," I cut her off. "It's just him, Nat. Nobody else."

She blinked at me. Something in her expression right now reminded me of Evelyn and I would have smiled because of it if we were in a different setting.

Natalie frowns as if she made her mind up about something. "That goes for you too you hypocrite. I know what you've been thinking."

"I think the guilt is inevitable," Cyrus speaks up. "We can all feel better once she wakes up and tells us how dumb we're being." He paused. "Unless she does blame us, then we're all screwed."

"She won't blame me, I'm perfect," Adam says, finally returning with some coffee and granola bars.

His joke didn't come with his usual mischievous smirk. He sat down and I gave him a nudge on the shoulder. He gives me a flicker of a smile back.