Chapter 34- Are You Okay?

I had suspected something was wrong when Natalie didn't respond to my messages

I had suspected something was wrong when Natalie didn't respond to my messages. Now I knew something was wrong when she didn't show up to our school paper meeting.

I'm not gonna lie, I had forgotten about how exhausting it was to deal with Lillian without Natalie as a mediator. However, Tucker turned out to be a big help. He didn't seem to mind at all how much she could talk on and on and on with her stories. She could be talking about one thing one minute and then completely steer the story into something entirely different and Tucker would be there quietly listening to every word, silently nodding or frowning in reaction.

I wonder if Lillian would ever notice how much he seemed to like her. If she would ever stop obsessing over Cyrus, poor old Tucker might actually have a chance.

Michelle was always in the corner, quietly typing away on her part of the paper. She only spoke when she needed to and always minded her business. I decided I liked her. I didn't know her much, but I liked her.

After an entire after-school session of helping out with the paper, I decided it was time to hunt down Natalie. We dropped her off and picked her up at her house for me to know exactly where she lived.

It was Cyrus's week to drive us to school, but he didn't mind helping me out. I told him to stay in the car and he didn't argue much.

I knocked on her front door and waited for a response.

Natalies mom was small Asian woman. She had long black hair and Natalies big brown eyes, though Natalies we're a lot kinder.

"Hi, I'm Rowena. I was just looking for Natalie?"

"Oh, Rowena," she said with recognition. "Yes, you're a new friend of hers from this year." Her voice was neutral, and she looked me up and down with the same expression.

"Yes ma'am," I said, and her mom slowly opened the door for me to walk in.

"Natalie hasn't been feeling good today, dear. She's been cooped up in her room all day."

"Do you think I could see her for a bit? She hasn't answered my texts and I had some questions for her about the school paper."

"Oh, yes I suppose that's fine. Her room is the first door on your left when you get up the stairs."

I let out a quiet thanks before making my way to the stairs. I halted when I heard her mom clear her throat. She dragged her eyes down to my shoes. "You'll drag in the dirt."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, quickly kicking off my shoes. She gave me a polite nod and I sent her a small smile before I turned my back and marched up the stairs.

I found the first door on the left and gave it a knock. I stuck my ear on the door, waiting to hear something from the other side. I heard nothing.

"Is she even alive," I muttered to myself. I gave one last knock and waited a little moment later before I turned the knob and opened the door.

Natalie's room matched her energy completely. She had a bookshelf in the corner of her room, right by the window seat decorated with fluffy pillows. She had a work desk on the other wall of her room, her laptop and textbooks stacked neatly on the edge. There was a tapestry hanging over her bed, a design that brought all the colors of her room together. The color the stood out the most of her décor was lavender.