Chapter 35- Hooligans

"You know, now that I look at you, something about you seems familiar," Dad says to Declan, tilting his head to the side and squinting his eyes a little

"Crazy what you notice about someone when you aren't threatening them with a gun, huh Mr. Salone?" Declan joked.

Dad straightened himself to glare at him. "We're not buddies yet, don't joke at me."

"Yes sir," He muttered.

"Oh Peter, stop being such a baby. Declan would you like some more mashed potatoes?" Mom asked.

"I could fit a little more. Thanks, Mrs. Salone."

"Oh, you can just call me Summer."

"No, he cannot," Dad grumbled.

"Dad, seriously? Could you play nice for like five seconds? You've barely given him a single break since he's been here," I pleaded.

"Declan, what is your opinion on pre-marital sex?" Dad asked suddenly.

Declan choked on his water as I slumped myself in my chair, hiding my face into my hands as mom whacked him in the shoulder. "Peter, you better knock it off right now."

"The thoughts never occurred to me sir-" Declan stuttered at first. Then he spoke quicker. "Anything pre-marital is kind of a foreign subject to me, you know. I like to keep my mind focused on my grades and um- and on soccer. I don't really have time to worry about pre-martial sex. Even uh.. pre-martial hugging is off the table for me. Don't even get me started on hand holding-"

"Okay," I cut in, quickly standing up from my chair. Dad's face was completely void of any emotion, which I suppose was progress from his resting glare. Mom hid a smile behind her hand.

I picked up my plate and reached for Declan's. "We're actually done here. I am taking Declan up to my room and we will be staying there until he has to go home. Thanks for dinner, mom." I pulled Declan from his chair as he gave his own thanks and I gave him a push up the stairs. I took the plates to the sink with a huff and made my way to the staircase again.

"Mom, I say this with all the respect in the world, please control your husband," I called over my shoulder on my way up the stairs.

"Hey, leave the door open!" Dad shouted after me.

I closed the door. Okay, I left the door a tiny crack open. Declan was sitting on my bed silently staring at me. I silently stared back.

"Pre-marital hand holding, huh?"

"I panicked," He defended. Only then did I laugh. He took me by the wrist and pulled me to sit next to him.

As he folded his fingers around mine, I gasped. "Declan, that is literally so sinful. I don't understand how you can even look at me right now."

Every Which WayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara