Chapter 2- Soccer Tryouts

So if we were to pretend that this morning never happened, it was actually a pretty decent first day

So if we were to pretend that this morning never happened, it was actually a pretty decent first day. My teachers were all adequate and my classmates didn't make me want to rip my hair out.

It was just the first day though, I wasn't about to get comfortable too soon.

"Watch out!" I saw something zooming in my direction and ducked my head so fast I almost caused self-inflicted whiplash.

A soccer ball crashed into the bleachers behind me and I made sure to glare at the dude who couldn't aim for his life. He certainly will not be making the team.

I was staying after school for Cyrus's soccer tryouts. He was going on about it pretty much all day and I, having the big ass heart that I do, offered to stay for support.

...Okay fine. So maybe he had to bribe me with food, but I was going to say yes anyway. I just knew I could get him to convince me with free stuff, so I pretended like I wasn't interested.

I loved watching him play. I loved watching soccer in general and it made me wish I was athletic enough to play on a team.

We would play for fun sometimes, but then he would get all competitive and I would get all whiny, and then we would argue for the remainder of the time.

He waved at me from the field and I waved back.

And then I saw him. The guy from this morning. He was walking onto the field still getting his jersey over his head. I caught the slightest glimpse of his abs underneath.

Show off.

Ugh, but he was so pretty. His dark hair was messy from changing into his jersey and I think he meant to fix it by running his hand through it, but it just made it messier. I for one, was not complaining.

Someone as pretty as that came up to talk to me and I slapped him across the face for being nice. That's 1 for life and 0 for Rowena.

His blush was even now, both cheeks red from the winter chill. It was such a good look. He turned so that his back was facing me and I saw the number 10 on his jersey.

"Is anyone sitting here?" I heard from over my shoulder. I snapped out of my thoughts to see a girl with a hesitant smile on her face. She had short brown hair, just below her shoulders, and big brown eyes that were waiting for an answer from me.

"Uh, no. Go for it." I said awkwardly. I don't have the best luck with making friends with girls and I could feel my fight or flight kicking in.

To be fair, she looked friendly enough. She gently plopped herself down beside me, hugging her jacket closer to her, and I thought It would be really nice to have a close friend that's a girl.

"You're one of the new kids, right? From Wilkinson?"

"That was the hell hole of mine, yes. I'm Rowena." I smiled at her.