Chapter 45- Probable Cause

I had my dad on speed dial, but I didn't have my phone specifically on me

I had my dad on speed dial, but I didn't have my phone specifically on me. I had left it in the car.

Which is when my brain (that was put on emergency mode) came up with the most reckless yet most helpful idea.

"Adam they're packing their things to move. I left my phone in the car. I need you to go grab it and dial my dad to tell him exactly that."

"Okay," He said, immediately getting up and turning towards the car.

"And tell him that my dumbass got myself caught by the bad guys."

"Wait what-" But I was already running towards the building they were staying.

------------------

Somewhere along the way, Adam stopped calling my name. I had hoped that meant he had given up and gone to the car to call my dad. Which was really important if this was going to work out. Otherwise, I'd have done this for nothing and I'm a goner.

No one was by the truck when I got there. I tucked myself behind it and looked around to see if anyone was out. When I saw no one, I made my way to the door.

My hand went up to grab the handle, but then I stopped.

If this was going to work, I couldn't break into their property. They could use that against me.

So instead, I knocked. I knocked and then I waited, feeling my pulse spread everywhere in anticipation. Then the handle wiggled, and it opened, revealing Marcel on the other side.

He was bigger this close up, a lot bigger than I had realized. I had to swallow my nerves before I spoke.

"Hi," I smiled. "Um, my car ran out of gas on the other side of those trees over there and my phone died. I was just wondering if I could use yours? I just need to call a friend to help me out."

I watched him as he watched me with a blank expression. And then I saw as his eyes flickered with recognition and he let out a single breath of laughter.

He knew exactly who I was. Good.

"Rowena Salone," He says, not hiding the fact at all. He reaches behind his back and his previously empty hands now hold a gun. He brings the barrel up to his face, casually rubbing his forehead with it as if he had an itch. "I know someone who's looking for you. Why don't you come inside? We can all have a little chat."

The smile he gives me is anything but friendly.

------------------

I'm practically thrown down into a chair. Marcel sits down across from me, gun still safe in his grip, and then he takes a deep breath as he slowly looks me up and down.

"You're cute," He says.

"I'm illegal," I shoot back immediately.

"You're eighteen, I've done my research," He smirks and then gives his shoulder a shrug. "Not that it matters anyway, I do lots of things that are illegal." I don't miss the innuendo in his tone. The pit of my stomach churns in disgust.