Chapter 37- Tension

Work was long and tiring and I spent most of the time wondering when I would hear from Declan

Work was long and tiring and I spent most of the time wondering when I would hear from Declan. Clearly, his phone had been shut off since my one message asking where he was never delivered. That and my call going straight to voicemail is what I had to work with.

I got home ready for a shower and bedtime, not wanting to stress about him any longer. I had my phone on the charger when I received a message. I hated that I expected it to be Declan, but it wasn't. Nico said there was a party this weekend, Saturday night since Fridays are for soccer games, and he wanted me to come and invite all my friends.

I heard dad come in from the front door late at night. Whatever case he was working was causing him longer hours and more stress on his plate. He never openly talks about his work though.

"Dad is that you?" I called from the top of the stairs.

"Yeah, Row. What are you doing awake? It's a school night."

"I'm just not tired yet," I responded. The truth was that I didn't like to fall asleep when I was alone in the house since mom had to go back to her job two hours out of town.

I skipped halfway down the stairs to see him and to confirm my thoughts. "You look tired," I noted. "How's work?"

"Work is work," He huffed, placing his keys on the small table by the door and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Dad is it..." I hesitated. "Is it that case that you had in the red file? Giovanni something," I struggled to remember what his last name was.

"How do you that name?" He asked more alert than he was walking through the door.

"Well... I saw it when you had me go to work with you that one day and I was organizing your files."

"Rowena what have I told you about looking through my work files?"

"I didn't mean to, not this time." Not really. "It fell from the stack and all the papers sprawled out everywhere."

He finally walked more into the house, dragging his feet all the way to the lounge chair in the living room. He sat at the edge of the cushion with his hands on his knees instead of relaxing into the seat.

"Well? Is that what has you so stressed out?" I tried again.

"Yes, it is. Not that it's something for you to be worried about."

"Pretend it is something I have to worry about. Lay the details on me."

He raised his brows at me, giving me a look that made me feel dumb for asking. Instead of backing down though, I sat on the couch beside him and rested my face in my hands, waiting for him to say something.

"Okay fine," He said. "But don't be repeating this to anyone, this is all confidential."

"I know the drill, dad," I waved him off and waited for him to continue.