Chapter 11- Yo, Duncan!

"How did studying go with Declan?"

I narrowed my eyes at Cyrus while he kept his eyes on the road. It was his turn to drive to school again. "Why do you say it like that?"

"Say it like I don't believe that all you did was study?" he glanced at me with his words and I raised my brows at him expectantly. Then he shrugged his shoulders and did that thing where you say I don't know but really, it's just an mmMMmm sound.

"Don't be stupid, me and Declan are just friends. Besides, you know I would tell you if anything were happening between us."

"Actually I don't, because the last time you were involved with a guy I didn't find out about it until you came to me crying about him."

His name was Adrian and I dated him in the 9th grade. It was a very short-term relationship though, considering he was only nice to me for the first two weeks, and then cheated on me the last week.

"Because I didn't think it was a serious relationship and I didn't want to waste your time too. Besides, I learned from that anyway."

If I had told Cyrus from the start, he could have saved me a lot of hurt. I didn't know Adrian was a sneaky little turd on a stick, but apparently, it was old news to Cyrus.

We parked the car and walked into the school together, the conversation of failed relationships following me all the way to my locker as I twisted my combination.

"I'll be back," Cyrus announced before heading to his own locker at the end of the hall.

"My bestest friend in the whole wide world!" Adam threw his arm around my shoulders, to which I immediately shoved off.

"I'm still not talking to you." He still owed me a sandwich, and probably owed Ryan a new book.

"Come onnn, you can't stay mad at me forever. Who else will I give this gift card to for your favorite diner ever?"

I looked at him for the first time since we arrived. He was holding up a gift card that had Jimmy's diner sprawled out in the big red text that I knew so well. I did not hesitate to reach for it, but Adam pulled it out of my reach.

"You have to say you forgive me first."

"Fine, I forgive you."

He smiled brightly before tossing the card over to me. "I lied. I can't forgive you until you give Ryan a brand-new copy of the book you indirectly ruined."

"Already done. He used to do my homework when we took chemistry together last year, I think I still owed him for that."

"But now you do your own homework because you recognized the value of educating yourself, right?"

"Psssh, no. Now I have Tucker in my Physics class."

"Alright I'm ready," Cyrus said as he rejoined us by my locker.