Chapter 7- Bonfires to Burgers

"So that guy we beat up earlier today, that was his fault, right?" I asked Declan from the cement bench we were sitting on

"So that guy we beat up earlier today, that was his fault, right?" I asked Declan from the cement bench we were sitting on. The music from the party was still in earshot behind us.

"What was that thing you said about trust again?"

I gave him a sarcastic smile in response.

"Yes, it was his fault. I ran into him because I genuinely didn't see him. His eggs fell and just as I was about to apologize, he started cussing me out. He knew who we were, he was just itching to start something."

I heard a muffled buzz then and Declan pulled a phone from his back pocket. He read something from his screen and rolled his eyes. It wasn't the annoyed eye roll though, it was the kind of eye roll you give someone you're fond of.

He caught me staring and I anticipated the smug smile that came shortly afterward. "Before you get insanely jealous of whoever could be texting me, this is a drawing my little sister Evelyn just sent me through her tablet."

"Oh, that's sweet of her."

"It's a picture of me hanging by my feet, right above a pond of alligators," he said casually, "You're right though, it is one of her nicer messages." He turned his phone to show me the picture.

"Very artsy," I observed. "She seems fun, how old is she?"

"Eight years a pain in my ass. Parker's a lot nicer to me. He's two and doesn't know as many words."

"I wish I had siblings," I thought aloud.

"You like kids?"

"No, I just think it would be fun to mess with someone when Cyrus isn't around."

Out of nowhere a flare of alert lit up in Declan's eyes, and he reached over to hold both my hands in place.

"BOO!" someone yelled in the same moment and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Adam appeared from around us, laughing so hard he had to pause to catch his breath.

"Damn it Adam," I mumbled.

I looked down at Declan's hands still firmly around my own and he followed my gaze. "I didn't feel like getting slapped again," He explained and let go of his grip.

Adam was finally able to pull himself together and slumped onto the bench with us. "So what are you guys up to?"

"Plotting the murder of people who bug me. Congratulations, you've been bumped to the top of my list," I said with a smile.

"Oooh, top priority. I feel special and important."

"I feel hungry and... well nothing else. Just hungry."

"There you are, Cyrus! How'd it go with Ms. Legs?"

"Ignored. Hungry and Ignored," Declan continued.