Chapter 20- Speed Bumps & Smoothies

"Yeah but if you didn't want me to steal it, you shouldn't have left it out in the open where I could see it

"Yeah but if you didn't want me to steal it, you shouldn't have left it out in the open where I could see it."

Evelyn was very passionately arguing with Declan about food that she had apparently stolen from the fridge.

"It had my name on it you tiny spawn of satan, don't tell me you're a third-grader who doesn't know how to read."

"I know perfectly well how to read, why do you think I targeted your food?"

"That's it, I'm tossing you in the laundry chute where you can think about what you've done."

"I slide down that thing for fun, you can't threaten me with that," She told him as she crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

"Well then, I'm stuffing you in the dryer and leaving you there until you shrivel up."

She let out a scream as he finally charged at her. I found the entire situation amusing and Evelyn was the first to notice me standing in the doorway.

"Rowena, you're here, save me!" She ran behind my back in a flash and wrapped her arms around me.

"Hi," I greeted as Declan saw me for the first time. "Your mo- I mean Julia let me in." She had asked me to call her by her first name anyway.

"Cool, Hey," He said. "I'm gonna need the child behind your back now."

"No!" Evelyn shouted from behind me and gripped me tighter. "He's in a terrible mood Rowena, you really don't want to spend time with him. How about we go hang out instead? I have some Barbie dolls up in my room."

"Oh, you're into Barbie dolls?"

"Only when I can hang them from my ceiling fan and watch them go round and round."

"See? Borderline psychopath." She blew raspberries at him in response. 

"Sounds kind of fun actually," I mumbled more to myself than to him.

"So, you really do have to spend time with him huh?" She asked disappointedly. "You don't wanna go outside and play speed bump with me?"

"What's speed bump?"

"It's where you lay down flat in the middle of the street and wait for a car to come by and-"

"No, she can't play speed bump with you," Declan said as he grabbed me gently from the arm, guiding us out of the room.

"Well fine, I'll just ask Parker then."

"Stay out of the street Evelyn!" He yelled as we walked away.

"She is really something else, isn't she?" I laughed.

"That sounds dangerously like admiration."

"You think it's a thing for an eight-year-old to be your spirit animal?"

"I can agree that she's an animal," He responded.