Chapter 13- Rooster Repellent

On some weekends when mom came to visit, we would have a girl's day out

On some weekends when mom came to visit, we would have a girl's day out. It's been a tradition of ours since dad was first promoted as head detective.

We would go to the mall or the movies, or we'd get manicures, or go out for frozen yogurt. Just some nice and relaxed girl time.

"So how is your new school? No more vague 'It's going good' responses I want details."

"Well," I started, thinking about the events that happened within the few weeks, "I haven't received one detention yet, most of my teachers seem completely adequate, Cyrus made the soccer team, I'm taking pictures for the school paper, I made an actual friend that's a girl, annnnd I'm tutoring a star soccer player."

She blinked at me, absorbing all the information I just laid on her. Then after a moment's time, she said, "Is he cute?"

"No other comments?" I asked in slight disbelief, "No other questions about anything I just said?"

"Fine, tell me about your new friend. Your father filled me in on Cyrus making the team and that you take pictures now. Which I am very proud of you for by the way."

"Her name is Natalie, we met at soccer tryouts. She's dating a boy on the team," I whispered the next part, "which personally I feel like she can do better, but that's none of my business."

"Hm," Mom hummed, "Maybe you can bring her with us next time. I would love to meet her."

I nodded my head in agreement, taking another scoopful of my frozen yogurt. Mom wasn't eating her yogurt, just staring at me.

"So, is he cute?" She asked again. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Declan. That was 100% my mistake. Now, I would probably never hear the end of it.

I sighed deeply before shrugging my shoulders and said, "He's visually appealing, so what?"

Don't judge for my choice of words, I wasn't about to tell my mother that I did in fact find him insanely attractive and that he could most certainly leggo my eggo.

Don't ask me about those choice of words either, I have no explanation, nor do I have control over my thoughts.

"So, you like him?"

"I never said that. If anything, we're friends. I just teach him math sometimes after school."

"Does Cyrus know him? Does he approve?" she asked, whipping out her cell phone.

"Mom do not text Cyrus right now. It's really not a big deal and I promise if anything happens between me and a boy, I will let you know."

It was true.

Well, sort of true.

Okay, maybe not entirely true.

I never told her about the last guy I liked. Mostly, because I didn't want her telling dad about it and have him all like, "What's his name? Where does he live? Who's his dad? Does he have a criminal record? Probably not, but I can forge one. He knows I have a gun, right? It's okay, he's going to learn."