Chapter 21- Just Do It Already

"Come on, I told Cyrus to meet me at my house," Declan said as he nodded in a general direction

"You wanna walk to your house in this weather?"

"You want to stay locked outside your car in this weather? Let's go get some dry clothes, my house isn't far from here."

"Alright, if you say so," I said as I followed close behind him.

He laughed out of nowhere. "You really locked your keys in your car after it broke down."

"Declan, it is way too early to tease me about this. Stop it before I cry." That only made him laugh at me more.

"Come on, we'll get there faster if we cut through here."

We were walking off the road now to cut through a grassy area. The rain was still coming down hard and my clothes had already been soaked. I was wiping water away from my face at this point.

"Our smoothies," I whined, only now remembering they were locked in my car along with my phone.

"They should still be good when we get back to your car. If not, we can get some more."

"Or we can make some more. You know what that just reminded me of? That I can make a killer milkshake."

"Are you trying to lure me into your yard?" I didn't get his reference at first, but when I did, I almost laughed. I decided to shove him instead though.

I made the mistake of shifting my weight on a slight hill, where the mud was extra slippery. So instead of knocking him on his ass with a shove, I almost knocked myself on my ass.

I gasped as I lost my footing. Declan grabbed my arm before I could fall and I grabbed him right back. As I rebalanced myself, he slipped his hand into mine, lacing his fingers with my own and helping me down the small hill.

"I'll just keep this until we're out of the mud. Good?" He asked, very subtly dragging his thumb over the side of my knuckle. The rain had matted his hair down, droplets falling from the ends of his flattened waves.

"Good," I nodded slowly with my response before he guided us forward.

But even when we made it out of the mud, he still kept my hand in his.

—————————————

We had kicked off our muddy shoes at the door and Declan got us both towels to dry off as best we could.

I followed him to his room where he handed me a dry hoodie to change into. He gave me a pair of sweatpants too, explaining that they were an old pair that he hasn't worn since middle school, so they should fit me fine.

He left me alone in his room so I could change, taking a fresh pair of clothes with him to change somewhere else.

I had to tie the drawstrings around me anyway to keep them from falling off my waist. I found the hoodie to be perfectly oversized, the gentle scent of his cologne wrapping around me.