145 - A Withered Rose

I couldn't believe it. It was her. This whole time, my sister had been here in this world. Kira had changed. Just like I had, or else I would have recognized her long ago. A mixture of complicated emotions flooded my brain.

On one hand, I was happy. I could finally reunite with her, and even introduce her to the others. I will have to explain the past life stuff though, since they know that in this world I'm a single child.

But...something felt wrong. Deathly wrong. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it just didn't feel right. Those things that she had said...And, the fact she was here meant that...

...She died.

"Kyle...is that you?" She gasped, tears falling down her eyes. "Is that really you?"

"It is." I stated. "Kira...I'm..."

She cut me off. "I can't believe it, it really is you...this whole time, you were right here. Right under my nose..."

"She told me that I would eventually reunite with you, but I didn't expect it to be like this, or this soon..." She stated.

Her eyes widened to astronomical proportions. "I tried...I tried to kill you." She realized. "No...I didn't know....I'm a failure..."

"Kira...?" I questioned, a feeling of unease building over me.

A dark aura started to form around her as she stared towards the ground, her eyes shadowed. "I should've known...I should've known...I should've known..."

I went to say something, to try to calm her down and tell her that it wasn't her fault. To comfort her as her older brother. But before I could say anything a dark voice left her lips, void of emotion.

"Kyle...this whole time..." She growled. "I can't believe this...why? Why? As soon as I realized, you were taken away from me. And as I realize once more, you've been taken away."

I had a foreboding feeling that I knew what she was talking about. When she had been talking about 'Kyle' earlier, she didn't call him brother.

She called him the love of his life.

Her face lifted up, her emotionless eyes staring into my soul. I jerked back in surprise. It was a face I had never seen either Kira or Rose make.

"Of course they'd fall, you've always been the greatest." She muttered. "All of those dumbasses from our last world couldn't see it...but they could."

"Why?" She asked. "Of course I know why...fate sure is cruel...you've been taken away once again..."

I didn't know what to do. I felt like a failure of a brother. I had (unwillingly) abandoned her, and that has led to this. And while I love my life now, I still left her behind and moved on.

"Kira...what happened to you?" I whispered.

"Rose." She stated. "Call me Rose. My name is Rose Valentine...your dear, ol' sister."

"Mine..." She muttered. "It doesn't matter if those hussies recognize your greatness...they'll just hurt you again...you don't need anyone else."

"You only need ME." She stated, her eyes burning with a passion. She took a step forward, and I unconsciously took a step back.

"Why are you running away?" She growled. "What have they done to you? Why do you believe those whores?"

"You've changed too." I whispered. I had trouble bringing them out...I didn't want to believe them, but I had to face the truth. "And don't call them that. I care for them."

Rose staggered back, as though hit with an arrow. She stared at me with wide eyes, clutching at her face as tears started to roll down.

"Not again...not again...not again..." She repeated a mantra. "Why...why have you been taken away from me?"