138 - The Flight Back To Japan

We stood in front of the jet. It was about time to head back to Japan, our interesting trip in America over.

Erica hugged her parents, their relationship having greatly improved compared to when we arrived.

I looked at Xena, crouching down so I was eye level with her. "Xena." I said. "Would you like to come with us? If you don't want to, you can stay here with Julia and Aaron."

Xena looked back towards the two, who smiled at them. Xena then looked back at me. "Would you...take me with you?" She meekly asked.

"If that's what you want." I replied, patting her on the head.

Julia sent me a knowing smile.

"I...I do want to." Xena decided.

"Alright then." I smiled at her.

"Goodbye." Erica smiled towards them. "I'll keep in contact."

"Please do." Julia smiled. "You can visit us anytime you would like. And your friends are welcome as well."

"Thank you." Erica smiled.

We waved goodbye, boarding the jet. We sat down in the seats. Xena sat next to me while Lily was across from me with Erica next to her. Fenrir jumped up onto Lily's lap. She lightly started to stroke him.

As the jet took off, I looked out the window and watched as we climbed higher into the air, passing the clouds. We were heading home.

It didn't take long for Xena to fall asleep, her head leaning on my side. Erica and Lily looked at her, slightly envious.

Seriously? Jealous over a kid?

After some time Erica fell asleep, leaving only Lily and I awake. We sat in silence, until Lily spoke up.

"Ken." She said.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"What are we going to do with Xena?" She curiously asked.

"Julia suggested...I adopt her." I told her.

"Seriously?" Lily gasped.

"Yeah. Even Irene agreed, though you know how she is." I replied.

"Of course she would." Lily giggled. "Are you going to do it?"

"I...I've been thinking about it." I stated. "And, I think I will."

I'm a little worried. I'm not sure how to be a good father. All I know is how to not be a bad father, having witnessed many examples of terrible fathers myself.

I don't want to be like them.

"Hm." Lily replied. "So who will be her mother? Erica or Irene? Both?"

"I was thinking...you." I stated.

"What?" Lily blushed.

"You're the only other person she's attached too. While she likes Julia and Aaron, it's not the same level of attachment like she does with you and I." I stated.

"I...I would be honored." Lily blushed once more, before it faded. "But...but I can't."

"Why?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"I just...I don't...I don't think I'd be a good mother..." She awkwardly replied.

"Well, it's more than that with the way you're acting." I replied. "So what's up? I'm here if something is wrong."

"I...I never told you about my own mother...did I?" Lily asked.

"No, you never talked about her. I only know she was murdered." I replied. "I figured you two had a rocky relationship."