29

The night sky looked totally unchanged as I stared up at the stars momentarily. It was nice, it brought back memories of the old world, which sounded strange but that's the best way to describe it. My Dad would often take me camping out in the bush and point out constellations. It would always fancinate me when I was younger. Now, I suppose the constellations are all I have left to remember him, and my mum, by.

The embers of the large bonfire we had built in the middle of the road rose up high into the sky. Cars circled our area in the middle of the road, barricading us in. Protecting us from any stray zombies that might be wandering the streets.

Jonah and Harry's voices ring out across the freeway, singing a silly little campfire song with their arms thrown around one another and a beer in their hands. Jack is quick to join in with them, marshmallows filling up his cheeks making him look like a chipmunk. It's pretty funny to watch, considering they're all more hammered than Cleo was the other night. Harry falls back in the lawn chair he was sitting in and Jonah cackles. Cleo rushes to help him up, as he insists he's fine.

"This is really nice," Tina said, wrapping her arms around her legs.

"What's nice?" Lacey asked.

Tina shrugged. "Just this. The fire, the company, the night. It feels normal,"

"This is the new normal, muffin," Jonah said, his words slurred. "Better enjoy the serenity while it lasts,"

Tina grins at Jonah's response, and lies back on the bonnet of the car. I follow suit, lying back into Greta's lap. West's arm is protetively slung around her as he discusses something nonsensical with Chris.

"Hey baby," she said. West thinks she's talking to him and looks over to Greta with a smirk on his face.

"Not you, hoe. I'm Greta's main bitch,"

West frowns. "Is this true, babydoll?"

Greta nods, her frazzled hair swaying slightly in the breeze. "I'm sorry, but my heart belongs to another,"

West sighs in defeat and retracts his arm. "I understand, I'll just have to swap you for Christopher here,"

West immediately leaps on Chris, who squeals in surprise, and clings to him like a baby orangutan. Chris protectively pets West on the head, and they both smile like idiots. Greta and I laugh.

The pair split and Chris gets up, mumbling something about sustenance, and West goes off to annoy Ryder as Lacey approaches us.

"Hey hot stuff," I wink at her as she slumps next to me, something alcoholic in her hand. She pats my knee, a silent smile on her face.

"You guys trying to have girly fun with out The Cleo?"

I scoffed at her title of 'The Cleo' as she popped up behind us.

"We could never have fun without you, Cleo," Greta said, Cleo's lazy smirk growing. She awkwardly clambers over the back of the seat we were sitting on (the back seat of a car, ripped out that we found in the middle of the street earlier that evening) and falls nicely into Lacey's lap.

"This reminds me of old times, when we would sleepover at Greta's house in that sweet downstairs area she had," Cleo drawls. Greta replies with an enthused 'ayy'.

"Yes, we had so many D&Ms in there..." Lace nodded.

"D&Ms?" Ryder asked as he stomps past us, a bottle of Coke in his grasp.

"Deep and meaningfuls, chicken," I replied. He gives me a thumbs up and continues on his way.

"Remember when you couldn't come to Greta's birthday and we called you like five times?" Cleo said, followed by her trademark laugh. Lacey throws her head back, groaning, and I stifle a laugh at her.