23

My backpack lays strewn around my feet. All sorts of things were shoved inside of it; CD’s, knives, even some spare clothes. But Chris was more interested in something that’s been sitting there from the start. He was looking through all the sketches in my art book.

I watch him studying all of the lazy sketches in the book like he’s analysing them so he can write an essay about them or something. I think they’re nothing, but he seems to like them.

“Y’know Chris, Ryder told me you could draw, too,” I enquire.

Chris screws up his face and flicks another page over. “No way, I suck,”

Chris,”

“Honestly, I’m terrible. Ryder is so oblivious to art he would mistake a Claude Monet for a Picasso,”

I roll my eyes. “Oh C’mon, I’m sure you’re a wonderful artist. Draw me something,”

Chris looks over at me and smirks. “You haven’t got any pencils,”

“Fuck,” I punch the grey carpet. Chris chuckles.

“These are really cool Sadie,” Chris says, pointing to a little cartoon sketch. “You could be like an artist or an animator, something cool like that,”

“I could have been, before all of this shit happened,” I sighed. Chris looks at me with sad eyes, knowing I’m right. But he turns to me, and hands me back the book.

“Well, when we get to Ryder’s dead aunts house, I will personally stockpile art supplies so you can paint and draw all you like so that when civilisation returns you can become famous with your works from the apocalypse,”

He grins at me, and I smile. “Aw, that’s really sweet Chris,”

Chris shrugs. “What can I say, I’m just the sweetest,”

I roll my eyes and he shoves me playfully. Me being the weakling I am, despite all the running from zombies I’d been doing lately, I topple over and my legs end up in the air. Chris and I laugh, and he pokes the back of my knee. I flinch, so he does it again. The cycle continues until he’s just full blown tickle-assaulting me.

“Stop! Stop! Chris please!” I gasp in between giggles.

“Never,” He whispers before a menacing chuckle. He continues poking my sides until it’s too much and I lash out, my wildly flailing legs accidentally kicking him below the belt.

Chris winces and flops almost on top of me. He elbows me on his way down to the floor and I too wince. He groans again, his face plastered into the ratty carpet.

“Ow… Chris you elbowed me in the boob,” I prop myself up on my forearms and look over at him. He’s already up, sitting back on his legs with a pained look on his face. He squints at me before placing a hand on the other side of me so he’s directly above me, looking down at me as I lie on the floor.

“Well, you kicked me in the knackers, so maybe we’re even,” Chris says in a strained voice. I laugh at him, and he flashes a grin. One of his little vampire teeth poke at his bottom lip, that adorable habit he has. I begin to chew on my lip when he stays there and continues to stare at me. He tilts his head slightly and his hair sways, his blonde locks looking much longer and shaggier from this angle. Damn, Chris is cute.

Chris blinks, and we both lean in. Our lips barely graze each other before Tina yawns and sits up. I push Chris off of me and he almost flies across the room, awkwardly falling back into a box. I sit up as Tina turns around and sees Chris and me behind her. She waves and we wave back, before she stands up to go to the kitchen. I sigh and run and hand through my hair. I turn to Chris, his eyes wide and his chest rising and falling rapidly. I mouth a ‘sorry!’ before getting up myself as the others start to stir.