20

Tina tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and sat down on one of the cardboard boxes. Jack waddled into the kitchen and put his gun on the bench before sifting through the cans of food. He squinted at the labels before stacking them neatly back into the boxes. Jack tended to be a stickler for order, so I had discovered. He looked through all of the cupboards and found endless supplies of food and water. For a young girl Tina seemed to have a decent set up for apocalypse survival.

"So, how did you guys loose your friends?" Tina asked.

I pulled over one of the boxes, which was surprisingly heavy, and sat opposite Tina. "Well, we were staying in a park not too far from here, at least I think it wasn't far, I don't really know. I never came into town very much..."

"Anyways," Chris cut me off. Did I start rambling? Maybe I'm delusional. "Our group of about eleven or so were staying in a truck when we discovered one of us had killed a guy in our group who was sick and then he started changing, so we left and we were surrounded by zombies and we all got split up. The end,"

"One of you guys killed someone?" Tina said, mildly horrified.

"Oh no! Not one of us, one of the guys we lost. We don't like her much," Greta said, her frizzed out hair shaking as she shook her head. Tina exhaled, relived.

Harry silently shuffled over and plonked himself down on the box that was next to Tina, who jumped when he practically fell next to her. Harry looked at her with innocent eyes before he flashed her a grin. His teeth were still surprinsly white from when Lace and Victoria cleaned him up a little over a week ago. Cleo was so happy, so was Harry. Now we didn't even know where they were. Some of my best friends could be in trouble right now and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. They could even be dead.

"So did you guys just meet in the park or something?" Tina asked as she crossed her legs, snapping me out of my negative thoughts.

"Nah, it was the last day of school and we were all in the same class when shit hit the fan. We found Jack on the highway when he shot down a helicopter, he got shot too," Chris explained further, jumping onto the kitchen bench and making himself comfortable.

Tina turned to Jack with wide eyes, twirling a piece of hair around her finger.  "Did you get a scar?"

Jack reefed up his shirt to reveal a still quite red and scabby scar on his lower abdomen. I forget that it wasn't that long ago that Jack was just some bleeding stranger on the ground who had just saved mine and Ryder's lives.

"Wh-at's your story?" Harry asked, his voice still croaky and his voice broken. Tina glanced at Harry wearily, before clearing her throat and beginning to talk.

"Well it was the last day of school for me too, and I had a bunch of friends over for a sleepover at my house, which wasn't this house," Tina gestured to the room before getting back to the story "By the time we heard about the whole zombie thing it was on the news and we were in the eye of the storm. My mum came back from Dominos with half of her neck missing and died on the doorstep before she got back up and tried to eat Dad. He smashed her brains in before telling me and my four friends to hide in my room. We locked the door, closed the windows, switched off the lights and sat huddled in the corner. Despite the fear and terror, we all fell asleep. We woke up to my Dad screaming, so we all ran outside to see my Dad literally get ripped apart. The same zombies then charged at us, and we ran through the house. Dad had blocked the door so we couldn't open it, so we crawled through the doggy door. My best friend Leigh could get through in time and got killed," Tina paused and looked to the ground, so Harry comfortingly rubbed her back. She smiled at him.

"Then Becky, Dana and I just ran for like an hour before we stopped to find water. Dana got killed when she when to go to the toilet at the shop we stopped at, so then it was just me and Becky. We were roaming about for almost a week before Becky got taken. It was weird when she died though, she didn't cry or scream or resist. Becky just accepted her fate, I mean she was even smiling as they ripped her face off! She just kept assuring me it was fine and told me to keep going without her, she told me to survive this. So I have been," Tina shrugged, and looked up at us all staring at her in awe of her story.

"Whoa," Harry said.

"Whoa indeed," Jack said while munching on some variety of tinned food. Wait, was he eating tinned tomatoes? All smooshy and watery? Gross!

Despite the unappetizing appeal of the tinned tomatoes, my stomach rumbled. I haven't eaten in a while. "Jack, what food is up their?"

"Tomatoes, lentils, corn, some foreign tinned meat and ooh! Some peaches!"

Jack poured the large tin of peaches into a bowl and grabbed a handful of spoons. We ate every last chunk of fruit and Tina slurped up the juice.

It was only around midday by now, and we were all sitting on the floor bored mindlessly listening to the huge horde shuffle past at an excruciatingly slow pace. We couldn't do anything but hope that our friends were ok before we could go and find them. For now, we were just playing the waiting game, which is very similar to Monopoly. Frustraiting and nobody has a chance of ever winning.

God I hate Monopoly.

This is kinda short but needed. Thank you all for the 9K! When I started this I would have never have hoped that anyone but my friends would be reading it.  Hope you guys like it!! Votes and comments are appreciated!