18

We all leapt from the truck, zombies marching towards us. The horde was catching up on us now, running with an everlasting limp keeping them far enough away. Jack was attempting to kick away one zombie while another smashed in the window behind his head. West ran towards the front of the truck while everyone bolted past, and he stabbed a zombie in the back before ripping it from the truck. Jack leapt from the truck, panting and covered in black zombie ooze. A few stray, faster zombies grabbed at West’s clothing, but Greta quickly thwacked them over the head, brain matter splattering on the white exterior of the truck.

Another horde had heard the commotion that the first horde was making and came from around the street. They were slower, only attracted by the sound of the moans, not realising yet that humans – food – were here too. They figured it out soon enough, unfortunately.

“Where are we running?” Cleo called out to everyone, the sound of the zombies overpowering us. I could barely hear her and she was mere metres away. My heart began to pound. This could be it. We all seemed to stop running and began stumbling around, and the zombies began to encircle us. Greta grabbed my wrist in panic, and I could feel her shaking. Or maybe I was shaking.

Victoria screamed and began to drop to the ground, as if she had given up on survival altogether. Cleo kicked her hard, hard enough that I could hear the loud thud.

Are you fucking stupid? That will only attract them! If you’ve given up go and throw yourself at them, you self-centred bitch!” She shouted at her, pure and utter anger raging in Cleo’s voice. I even managed to crack a tiny grin at that.

Despite the two hordes surrounding us.

Jack attempts to scare them off by shooting a few, but they just crumpled to the ground and were trampled over. Lacey started to back up and hide behind Ryder, who himself was beginning to back away as his bottom lip trembled.

Another zombie slowly advanced towards us as all it seemed we were totally surrounded. It was only a matter of time before one of us was attacked. Chris slung our arms together as he exhaled, his breath shaky. This is it.

Ssssssss

I furrowed my eyebrows at the strange hissing noise. What now, a snake? Dammit, Australian wildlife, not now.

Ssssssss

What was that? I looked around my legs, expecting to see a slithering reptile. Nothing.

Ssssssss

“Can you hear that?” Greta said, we were also clinging to each other.

“SADIE!” Someone screamed. The three of us that were huddled together turned, and saw Harry pointing to an opening in the zombies. We instinctively bolted for it, following Harry. Greta called to the others to follow and we kept running.

A zombie jumped at Chris and I jabbed it in the eyes, another two on either side of me jumped with their blood coated hands and Greta got them both in the throats. We hurried away from the park and sprinted for an alleyway as a minority of the horde hobbled after us.

We turned the corner into the wide alleyway, and a fence that is just higher than my head is in our way. We could climb, but that would let the zombies catch up. It seemed to be the only option.

“Sadie, brace yourself! I’m going to throw you over the fence!” Chris shouted over the noise of our feet pounding the pavement and the zombies chasing after us.

“You won’t be able to! It’s too high!”

“We’ve got to try something!”

I gulped, and Chris placed his hands on my waist. Just before we ran into the fence he gripped me tight and threw me over the fence like a football. I collided with the bar at the top of the fence before skidding to a halt on the rough concrete surface. I rolled over a few times and groaned. My knees were already bruising and grazed, blood seeping to the surface. My elbows were even worse, blood rolling down my arm. Chris had swung himself over the fence and had landed hard on his back, before getting back up and jumping up on the garbage bin that was against the fence. He grabbed Greta and hauled her over. I jumped up and dusted myself off, before going over to check on her. Chris pulled Harry over just as the zombies begun catching up. Jack leapt up to the fence and threw himself over, throwing his gun in front of him.  

“Where are the others?” Greta said as we assessed our surroundings.

“They went around the building, we’ll catch up with them after we get away from the horde,” Jack said, picking up his gun and rubbing the graze on his head.

We jogged to the edge of the alleyway where we looked around to see if any more zombies were around. A handful were stumbling around, but off in the distance another horde was coming. We never should have come back to the city. All we came back for was to find our families, who were dead anyways. We needed to get out of here as soon as we found the others, except now we had no mode of transport other than running.

“Lets… Go to the end of this street and we’ll see from there,” Jack suggested, unsure of his solution. Even headstrong, born-leader Jack was taken aback by the sudden wave of hordes, which wasn’t very comforting.

We slowly made our way to the end of the street, killing a few stray zombies. We made it to an intersection of what once was a busy main road. Cars were stationary on the road as if they hadn’t been abandoned by their owners and were still stuck in a peak hour traffic jam. I miss civilisation.  

Harry rested, leaning on the wall of a brick building. Being kind-of-dead-but-alive seemed to take a lot out of the guy, which wasn’t great when you had to run from zombies all the time. I turned back to the end of the street, where we had come from, to see the distant horde becoming not so distant by the second.

“Guys, another horde is coming between the cars, I think we need to go back the way we came,” Greta said.

“We can’t” I replied, turning around to face the others. “That horde is coming back that way,”

“Where do we go?” Harry questioned nervously.

We all looked at each other with worried looks. We were basically surrounded, and now we had no idea where half of our group is.

A few fast zombies came at us from through the parked cars. Jack shot them down with a swift bullet to the head each. This attracted a couple more, so now we were totally screwed.

Out of nowhere, footsteps began to pound the pavement. I stepped off the gutter and turned again to face the empty street to find a small girl running towards us. Her black hair was being thrown around like crazy and her knee high laced-up boots thumped the ground in the air of eerie silence.

The small Asian girl stopped running in front of me. She brushed her hair out of her eyes before speaking.

“Follow me,”

And with that, the girl spun around on her heel and began running again. Without thinking, I followed. The others joined me as I could hear their footsteps following me. The girl led us into a side street and we could see the horde of zombies catching up. We went inside an abandoned house, where the girl locked the front door multiple times and made Chris pull a nearby shelf in front of it. She ran to the back of the small house and locked up the back door similarly. All of the windows were boarded up and a few boxes of canned food and bottled water were strewn around the near empty kitchen.

We all stood together in the bare, dark lounge room of the house.

“Wait, who are you?” Jack asked, breaking the awkward silence.

“I’m Tina, my friends used to call me Teeny. Y’know, when they were alive,” She shrugged.

“How old are you?” Greta asked next, confused by the girl’s intelligent survival skills but small size.

“I’m thirteen, you learn how to live on your own pretty quick in the apocalypse. Who are you guys?” Tina crossed her arms, possibly offended by our sudden questioning.

“I’m Chris, that’s Greta, Dude with the gun is Jack, Harry is the zombie annnnd that’s Sadie. We’re sixteen, except for Jack. I don’t know how old Jack is,”

“I’m eighteen,” Jack chimed in.

Eighteen, there you go. Anyways, we’ve lost half of our group and have zero idea where they went. Not doing so good,” Chris laughed nervously.

Tina nodded. “Hasn’t been a good day for me either,”

yay update! They got split up ohhh nooo what happened to the other guys?!?!?!! dun dun dun

hope you like xx