1

Sadie

You always remember where you were when something significant happens in your life. When you find out you have a new family member, when you lose a family member, when you win a competition.

Or maybe where you were when the apocalypse begins.

Most people would say they were at home when they first noticed buildings burning or people being eaten. Some could've been at work, maybe they were driving. But me?

I was at school. Yeah, lucky me. The last day of school to be exact.

I remember vividly when I first saw a year seven being mauled by one of his changed classmates. Black blood smeared down his shirt, missing half of his neck and eating the poor kids innards. Honestly, the kid didn't look to much like a happy meal to me.

The zombies we've seen are much like the ones in the movies. They have rotting flesh, black blood in a continuous flow coming our of their mouths, attract flies and bugs and seem to grow a grey colour. Some of them even take on a greenish complexion.

We didn't notice much at the time, but the whole day felt odd. A strange feeling burning deep inside, almost an instinct that today was going to turn out bad. Admittedly, none of us saw what was coming, but I could have sworn that deep down we just knew something was wrong.

The uneasy feeling set in for me at lunch, so lets start there...

__

Cleo flicked her blonde hair out of her face. She tucked into her salad, which I was visibly envious of. Just as she ate a large piece of avocado, my stomach grumbled fiercely.

Cleo smiled. "You want a piece, Sadie?"

I slumped, feeling bad about wanting Cleo's food, but I couldn't resist. "Oh, Leo, would you mind?"

She giggled at her nickname, Cleo was so fond of Leonardo DiCaprio we started referring to her as Leo. "I don't mind at all," she gave me a large slice of her avocado, which was delicious.

Cleo was definitely the popular one, she was known by everyone and was the one that was friends with basically everyone. She was deservingly popular though, she didn't crawl her way to the top discarding her friends in the process. Cleo didn't even think she was popular, she had her head in the clouds in that area.

The confident strut of Lace caught my attention, another of my friends. Lace was tall and beautiful, yet always was single. She reigned the sassy yet occasionally awkward and stupid one. She was known to have a blonde moment or to. Her hair has recently been dyed a pearl pink colour from her natural strawberry blonde. She made her way from the canteen with a small fortunes worth of food.

"Gangstaz! What's up!" She called to us, pink hair bouncing. Did I mention Superbad quotes were in her veins?

Cleo laughed. "Not much, Lace. Have you got enough food?" I said.

"Some of its for you, idiot. I owed you money but I bought you food instead," Lace shoved a chicken and cheese toasted sandwich into my hands.

"Lacey, it's... It's beautiful," I fake cried.

"I know, Sadie, I know," she comforted. We all laughed and continued eating. Cleo and I hogged the seats with our legs stretched out across it.

"Where's Greta at?" I asked.

"Our English teacher was telling her some story about how she should be careful with her nose ring," Cleo shoveled in another scoop of salad.

"Hey Cleo," Said a manly voice. We looked over to see Harry Auburn and his posse strolling past. He noticeably flicked his sideswept dark hair while looking at Cleo. He gave her a trademark smile, dimples and all.