33

We've made it.

We've finally made it to our safehaven.

We haven't seen any zombies in ages, so I'm praying we won't see anymore ever. Maybe they've moved through here and they won't turn back around. I don't really know what the zombies will do, I just hope they stay away.

Ryder cheers and runs across the street, quickly jumping over the fence into the backyard. I laugh at his enthusiasm, rivalling that of a small child's. He unlocks the gate from the other side, and Lace and Cleo follow him inside.

I turn back around to everyone else, who are saying their goodbyes to Jack and Tina. Its not a very emotional farewell, it's almost awkward because although Jack has been with us for most of the journey, we hardly know both of them. Jack shakes hands with Jonah, and Jonah fists bumps Tina before pulling her into a hug. Tina flinches slightly before hugging him back and they share a laugh. Chris curtly shakes both of their hands and runs inside the house excitedly.

As Chris leaves I walk up to Tina and give her a brisk hug, knowing she's not super affectionate. "I hope you find however you're looking for, Teeny,"

She smiles, the sun in her eyes. "Thanks Sadie, I'm sure Jacky over here will keep me safe along the way,"

Tina waggles her eyebrows and elbows Jack who gives her a look. I move on to Jack as Harry and Greta come over to say goodbye.

"Jack..." I say, struggling for any suitable words.

He ruffles what hair he has, his buzzcut having grown out. "Listen, there's a servo around the corner, plenty of corner shops and the house down the road as a banana tree and an overgrown veggie patch,"

I laugh, punching him playfully in the arm. "Don't worry about us anymore. You're good. Thanks for all the stuff you've done for us, even though you were kind of a nazi for a while,"

He nods, but shakes his head after. "Yeah I kind of turned into my dad for a while. Coping mechanism, I guess."

I step forward and pull Jack into a hug. He's stuff and awkward, but he hugs me back and I think he appreciates it.

"You're like my big brother now,"
He frowns. "That makes me feel old,"

I giggle. "Stay safe, Jack. And if you don't find anything, just come back and stay with us,"

He puts his hands on my shoulders. "Of course. Be good, Sadie. Don't let Jonah drown at the beach, and don't give Cleo any alcohol,"

"Bye Jack," I step away and start to walk across the street, and Jack turns to the others to say goodbye. I turn around and don't look back before running to the house.

It looks like the typical grandparents house. Lots of plants and old, wearing paint. The old shutters are greying, but look nice and old. I open the screen door and find the front door unlocked, although it's quite heavy.

Inside the house is nothing but silence, everyone must be outside. It's musky and old smelling, I'm guessing it hasn't been touched since Ryder's aunt died however long ago. There's family photos on the wall but none with Ryder, I assume because he's not very closely related.

The furniture is all flower patterned and layered with doilies. The entire interior of the house looks like it's ripped straight from the 70's except for the layer of dust over everything and the giant plasma screen tv in the living room.

I go through the doorway in the living room to find a narrow hallway and four rooms leading off it. Two of the rooms are tiny bedrooms that are sad and empty, with nothing but a bed inside. One is the bathroom with gross yellow titles, and the other is the master bedroom with a large bed and built in wardrobe. I throw my rucksack on the bed to claim it, only to find everyone else's on it too. I don't think eight people will fit in the bed.