4

A few more bumps and crashes came from the staff room before an undead Harry came bursting through the door.

Lace screamed and stood up on a desk, muttering 'oh my god' over and over. Cleo composed herself, but backed up from the scene. Greta and I exchanged nods before arming ourselves with the rusty saws from the woodwork rooms.

"Woah, shit. It's a zombie," Jonah slurred, he didn't move from his seat and just continued smoking his joint. West picked up the nail gun, remorsefully aiming at his friend. Chris and Ryder also armed themselves with the saws.

Harry mildly resembled a zombie. He still had his side swept hair but his skin was remarkably pale and his lips were blackened and the dark blood had stained his teeth. He snarled and stumbled, before he was readying to launch himself at us.

"Harry! No!" Cleo ran towards zombie Harry, pushing us aside.

"Cleo! He's like a zombie now! Hello?" Lace shrieked. Harry growled at Lace, she whimpered and shut her mouth.

"Cle... o?" Harry croaked. He leaned over and sniffed Cleo, making her stiffen.

"Harry? You're not going to eat me, right?"

"No... Not you.... May... Be... Pink... Hair," Harry pointed to Lace, who continued to shriek and cry. Cleo giggled, but refrained from hugging the zombie. She seemed so happy he wasn't eating her face off, but was still scared of what he might be capable of.

"When did this turn into Warm Bodies?" Jonah announced. Chris hit him up the back of the head, to which Jonah replied 'Not cool dude'.

Harry stumbled over to the boys and sat on a desk. Jonah flinched and Harry snarled at him.

"How come you're not... like eating us?" Jonah managed to produce more verbal diarrhea. Harry shrugged. "Well... I'm just glad I ain't dead yet,"

"I wouldn't speak too soon..." West muttered.

Greta paced behind me, thinking deeply. "Wait... if Harry has come back from the dead, does that mean the other zombies are coming?"

Chris swallowed. "I think you may be right," He pointed to the window near Lace, were the dead girl from before was now standing up and smelling flesh. She coughed blood and turned her head towards us. The only window without a blind gave us away. Damn.

The girl launched herself at the window, leaving a crack and a blood smear on the window. She gurgled and launched herself at the window again, breaking it and gnawing at the air. Lace squealed again as more glass broke next to her and a bloody arm reached for her.

A bespectacled boy missing teeth grabbed Lace's hair with his bloody hands. She squealed as she pulled away, Ryder rushed to her aid with one of the rusty saws attempting to hack off his arm at the elbow. She ripped away from the zombie with unknown strength, but the boy took a chunk of pearl pink hair. Black blood flicked all over Lace and blobs hung onto her hair. She fell backwards off the desk straight into the muscly biceps of Ryder. He seemed startled, but giggled anyways. Lace quickly composed herself, but that went down the drain when she saw the boy holding a bunch of hair.

She clenched her fists and breathed out. "Ryder, give me the saw,"

"But... this is my saw, I named it and everything," He gave her puppy dog eyes as he traced the saw handle.

"Ryder..." She growled. Ryder gulped and handed it over. Without any warning Lace went and hacked at the boy's neck until eventually it came to bone, but the zombie boy had given up by then and accidentally impaled himself on broken glass. She stood back as more zombies squeezed through the window. Chris handed me a saw while Greta geared up and tied up her curls.

Harry whispered quietly to Cleo. "We keep... pink hair,"

____

After an hour of relentless zombie battle, we'd killed all of the few zombies that were upstairs. We knew that the zombies would come eventually, but now that they did, we had to get out and fast.

"How do we get out though? They can smell us," I said. We all sat around in a circle on the floor, the bloodied saws lay in the middle. Harry was poking his face in a failing attempt to regain feeling.

"I don't know, maybe we climb the roof?" Cleo suggested.

"But it won't lead us anywere, we'll just get trapped,"

"True..." Cleo thought more about a suggestion.

Greta snipped off small pieces of Lace's hair, evening it out. The bloodied bits of pink hair floated to the ground. Greta stopped cutting when she starting deeply thinking. "Wait... if Lace got all this blood on her-"

"Ew, stop reminding me," Lace added. Chris rolled his eyes and Harry grunted.

Greta sighed. "If she got all of this blood on her and hasn't changed or done anything in over an hour, that means it must only be the bites that get you changed,"

"Hey, you're right!" West cheered. Greta seemed very chuffed at this.

"So what, we like cover ourselves with zombie so they can't smell us and steal one of the teachers cars?" Jonah said, surprisingly he wasn't stoned right now.

We all stared at Jonah in awe. He actually contributed something coherent and... well... intelligent.

"Jonah... that's brilliant," Chris said, surprised as the rest of us.

Jonah grinned. "Why thank you,"

We decided to stock up on things we might need once we leave, so we emptied our school bags and stocked up on anything we could find. Jonah's bag was somehow the designated weapon bag, so all the saws, knifes and nail guns we found went in there. Ryder volunteered to have the food in his, but West and Chris decided that us girls were more trustworthy with the food, so that went in Cleo's bag. Ryder and I's bags were kept empty just in case.

We quickly made our way outside where the dead zombies were. We all took the tattered, blood stained clothing off some of the zombies and draped it over ourselves. Lace cried and said 'Ew' a lot throughout. Jonah seemed to oddly enjoy the experience.

"Haz, can you smell us?" West asked. Harry shook his head, so we got moving. Just before I was about to scamper down the stairs, I caught sight of the town.

"Wait... guys, take a look at this," I grabbed Ryder's shirt before he went down the stairs.

Everyone came back up the stairs hastily, what we saw will forever be imprinted in our memories.

Buildings were burning and cars crashed everywhere. The sky seemed grey from the world itself becoming dead. But it wasn't this that we remembered, it was the zombies. Everywhere. The changed scattered the football field. Hundreds, all moving away from the school. Some reanimating right there infront of us.

Zombies. They were here and did we fucking know it.

We all slowly walked towards the teacher carpark, thankfully no zombies were visible as most were killed or on the football field moving away.

We smelt awful, flesh clung to us. We could do with a shower after this, but I knew that wasn't happening. Showering was going to be a simple pleasure we would be going without for god knows how long.

Down on the ground, you could see the devastation more clearly. Blood was scattered everywhere. Phones lay unattended, school bags were left unscathed on seats, even a handball rolled around in the quad. We gathered some of the bags and decided to sort them out in the car.

Lace almost threw up again when we saw a body without a head.

We made it to the carpark, where more disaster awaited us. The cars were trapped as people must of tried to escape. The car that was furthest out the gate was a four wheel drive, so naturally we picked that one. Bonus that is was the biggest.

We set off for the nearest petrol station as a first stop, just as the sun became clearer.