43.

It was a Friday in the afternoon, Max was in her room, Billy was working out, and Olivia was keeping herself busy by cooking lunch for the family of three plus Steve was going to stop by later that day, most likely he was going to also be eating with them as he usually did.

Olivia was making enough food for them when there was a knock on the door expecting it to be her boyfriend Olivia turned off the stove and cleaned her hands. She walked to the front of the house to the door. She opened the door with a smile on her face expecting Steve but her smile fell when the person in front of her wasnt Steve but a much older woman wearing a long brown dress with block heels, her hair sleek back in a bun and a hat with a flower to the side.

Olivia looked at the woman weirdly; she didnt know who she was; the woman didnt look familiar either. "What can I help you with?" Olivia asked the woman, who smiled at her. The woman tried to smile friendly at her, but her smile looked forced and more creepy than anything. There was something Olivia didnt like nor trusted about the woman that stood in front of her.

"Hello dear, my name is Mary Smith; I'm a social worker. It has come to my attention that a minor lives in this household," the woman said. A minor, the only minor was Max. Olivia was now considered an adult since she had recently turned 18.

"Okay," Olivia said slowly, waiting for the woman to continue. "I know that your parents have sadly passed away. I would like to see.." the woman said and opened a file "Maxine," Mary said, reading something from her file. "Why do you need to see her," Olivia asked protectively, holding the door handle getting ready to shut the door in the womans face. "I need to take her with me. We need to get in contact with her father back in California to see if he can take care of her."

Olivia blinked a few times; she wanted to take Max away from her, "Max is fine here," Olivia said firmly. She gave her another of her fake smiles, "I dont think she is. Our report here shows a lot of neglect, and there was a police call one time a few officers came in, isnt that right," Mary said, going over her file.

"The phone call to the police was a misunderstanding. Max is my sister. I'm taking care of her, and her father is in California, that means she would have to"

Olivia didnt want Max to leave Hawkins; she would have to go to California; if Max's father took her, he would take her back to California with him. It was challenging for her being so young and having to take care of Max, clean the house, and cook, but she wasnt going to let this creepy woman take her sister.

"You cant take her, I won't let you," she said, shaking her head. "Im sorry, dear, but its not up to you," she said, faking sympathy. The woman was starting to piss her off, "You know what-"

"Olivia, who is at the door," Billy said, coming down the hall walking to her wearing a white tank top, his hair wet from sweating after his workout. "You must be William," Mary said as Billy got closer to the door.

"Its Billy, and who are you?" He said, standing beside Olivia, one of his eyebrows raised. "My name is Mary Smith," she said with a smile. "I'm a social worker. I was talking to your sister about Maxine," Mary said, sounding like a recorder.

It sounded like she had said that phrase over and over again over the years with who knows how many familys. Mary was just breaking families apart; Olivia wasnt going to let that happen.

"Maxine is staying here doesnt matter how annoying she is or how much we hate her," Billy said, not noticing the words he was using. Olivia hit him with her elbow on his side; he was not helping their situation. He held his ribs where she had just hit him and looked at her Olivia gave him a look.

"I see thats why we want to take Maxine to the orphanage-"

Mary said, looking between the Hargrove children. Olivia shook her head, she wasnt going to let anyone take her sister mostly to an orphanage. They wouldnt take proper care of her, and they wouldnt know what she likes. They would probably not even let her use her skateboard, which she loves, or visit her friends they dont know Max how she does.

Billys eyes widened just a bit; he had just started to like Max; he hated her just a bit less, and now this stranger wanted to take her. "-Shes going to stay there until her father comes and takes her or if he cant take her she will most likely stay in the orphanage until a family adopts her," she said.

Her voice had a hint of joy which Olivia couldnt understand how someone could be happy after sharing this news with someone. She wanted to break a family apart. They werent perfect, they werent the ideal family either, but they had each other. They were with each other in times they needed each other the most. They had experience as a family thing no one should go through.

"As I said before, you wont take her," Olivia said firmly with a fake smile and eyebrows furrowed and started to close the door. "Dont let the door hit you," she said in a fake nice tone. She shut the door in Marys face and locked it.

Hearing a new voice, Max decided to get out of her room; she appeared as Olivia was closing the door, "Who was at the door," Max asked behind her siblings.

"No one," Billy and Olivia said in unison. Max looked at both of them curiously. It was odd when both older siblings agreed on something. Max was a bit suspicious about their behavior but didn't think too hard about it and instead decided to ask if the food was ready.

"Yeah, Im almost done," Olivia said, looking at Max. "It just needs to cook a bit more, and its done," Olivia said, sounding a bit enthusiastic. "Ok," Max said, raising an eyebrow and walking to the kitchen, questioning Olivias odd behavior.

"Not a word," Olivia said, looking over her shoulder pointing her index finger at Billy. Olivia walked to the kitchen following after Max and finished the food.

Mary had left that day, but it wasnt the last time she would stop at the Hargrove residency.