Chapter : 29

Carly

I frowned.

"What?" I asked Xavier, my voice a whisper.

We hadn't spoken a word about Sophia since the night that he had told me about her so I had assumed that she was in the past, no longer a problem.

"What do you mean 'Sophia'? Xavier you can't just say that and not give me an explanation." I told him, my voice slightly rising because I was becoming nervous.

This seemed to break him out of his trance because he was quick to sit up and pull me onto his lap, nuzzling my hair.

"I just got a call from her doctor. Her family has finally decided to take her off of life support." Xavier's deep voice muttered.

I breathed a sigh of relief. For a moment, only a split second, I had thought that the impossible had happened, that Sophia had magically woken up.

I knew that was impossible though. She is brain dead and she was never going to wake up. As selfish as it was, as cruel as it was, I was glad to hear that.

"Oh. And .. how do you feel about that?" I asked, my inner therapist coming out.

Xavier sighed and tightened his arms around me.

"I don't lover her anymore, if that's what your asking, but it does make me feel somewhat sad. I have just held onto the hope that she could wake up for the longest time and now that they are taking her off I just don't know what to think."

Xavier admitted. I tilted my head up to look at him and saw his conflicted emotions in his eyes. I gently stroked his face, causing him to smile down at me.

"Well what do you want to do about it." I asked. He frowned, confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I smiled at him.

"I mean, do you want to be there .. when it happens?" I questioned, watching him intently, trying to pick out his emotions.

Xavier was quiet for a few moments, thinking about my question.

"I think so. Yeah. I want to. If I see her go then I'll finally be able to let go of her." He told me. I understood what he was saying completely.

"When are they doing it?" I asked. Xavier picked up his phone and glanced at it.

"Tomorrow, at noon." He read off. I nodded.

"Okay, you just go do what you need to do." I whispered, trying to comfort him.

Xavier frowned at me.

"Well aren't you .. will you come with me?" He asked, sounding as if the thought of me not going was absurd.

My eyes widened in surprise as I stared at him, deciding that he was completely serious.

"Really? You want me to be there? Are you sure?" I asked. I didn't want Xavier to feel like he had to make me comfortable with this, because I understood it.

"Yeah, I'm sure." He did sound sure.

"Okay. I'll go with you." I told him, yawning. Xavier smiled at me gratefully before grinning and throwing me behind him, onto the bed.

I laughed as I landed on the soft mattress, staring at Xavier as he crawled towards me, with what I assumed to be his attempt at a seductive Face present.

I shook my head playfully and laughed as his lips landed on mine.

..

"Mommy. Mommy." A small voice broke me out of my peaceful sleep and I felt two small hands on my face.