10.

10. OLD WEDDING RING

 OLD WEDDING RING

Eevi

A green plant, in the corner of my living room, in front of a window.
Slowly the leafs are turning brown. I have forgot to water it. I have always loved plants, but somehow they always die when I take care of them. Either I give them too much water, or not at all.
I took a glass and filled it with water, then I walked to the living room, and gave water to the plant.
It has been ten days since we got home from Kajaani.
Olli lost his bass, but luckily he got it back few days after. We laughed a lot then when Olli figured out that the bass isn't there, my hangover head tried to kill me, but I had fun.
Soon we are going to Mariehamn, and my birthday is also coming closer and closer.
Not that I care, but I'm afraid of the party.

I zoned out, and stared the plant.
"How am I supposed to take care of you, when I can't even take care of myself..?" I quietly spoke, and gently I touched the leafs.
Someone rang the doorbell, and it got me s second to make my brain work again.
I walked to the door, but before that I quickly looked myself from the big mirror. Yeah, I looked tired and all, but I have to face the person who is standing behind my door. No matter how I look.
I opened the door, and there stood tall, and bald policeman.
My heart stopped for a second.
"Eevi Moilanen?" He asked with his low voice.
"I am.. what is it?" I asked, scared and confused. What has happened? Am I in trouble?

"Unfortunately your neighbour, Anna Lahti has passed away. She told doctors your name, and that she has something for you in her apartment." He talked with straight, and a little sad face.
I felt a sharp feeling in my heart, and I couldn't say anything.
"Here is the key for her apartment." He handed me a black key. I took it, and then I swallowed.
"What about all her stuff? How she died?" I asked, trying not to cry.
"Her sisters childrens takes care of that. She had a heart attack, and then peacefully in her sleep she passed away in hospital." He answered and I nodded.
After he left I was standing in my apartment, holding that key in my hand. Not knowing what to do. She was like a grandmother to me.
Tears were in my eyes, but I took a deep breath, and tried to handle my emotions.
I decided to visit her apartment now, I don't know what she has there for me, so I was kinda scared about it.
I went in, and closed the door behind me. There was old furnitures, and still I could almost smell the fresh buns she always made.

I walked further, and looked everywhere. There was that piano I used to play when she asked, and I also sang. She loved it.
I placed my hand on that black piano, it was dusty. Slowly I let my hand slide there while I walked forward.
There was a desk, and I decided to search the drawers. It felt like I was robbing her property.
There was nothing, but then I saw a brown envelope, and my name was written there. With a beautiful handwriting.
I took a deep breath, and opened it. There was a letter, and the beautiful handwriting kept going.

'Dear Eevi,
When you read this, I'm no longer there. But I wanted to write this letter for you, just to remind you how important you are to me. For years you have been talking to me, spending time when I've asked you to play my piano, or take a cup of tea with me. Those moments were very special to me. You have a very good, kind and loyal heart and mind. You have a beautiful voice, and you play piano like you're meant to do it. Your brother seems a person just like you, I saw him only few times, but it was very clear that you two are siblings. Two beautiful souls.
I would be glad if you would tell your brother that he's very talented and handsome man. Somehow he reminded me of my husband.
Don't cry because of me, I lived a good life, and for the past years you made it better, when I had no one else.
Keep on dreaming. I see that music is everything to you, do things that you love. Life is too short for sorrow.
Enjoy life, enjoy about little things. Hug the people you love, tell them that you love them. Spend time with them, laugh and cry with them.
I know that you will find the love of your life, you're amazing woman, who deserves only the best.
I wanted to give you something special to me, it's in the bookcase, there is that one red book, look behind it.