Chapter 39: Letter

I awoke the next morning to an owl tapping on the window. Severus groaned next to me, causing me to chuckle as I quickly threw on Severus's t-shirt, opening the window for the owl. It swooped in, holding a letter in its beak. I carefully took the letter, giving it a bit of bread, as Severus climbed out of bed, tossing on a pair of boxers, before walking behind me. I felt his hands wrap around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said, his morning voice sending chills down my spine.

"Good morning, handsome." I turned around, wrapping my arms around his neck, still holding the unopened letter.

"Who's that from?" he asked. I let go of him, turning the letter over in my hands.

"Not sure. Haven't opened it yet... you interrupted me," I replied, chuckling as he pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Hey, don't tell me you didn't enjoy the interruption."

"Shut up, Snape."

His deep laughter filled the room as I tore open the letter.

Y/n,

I was so happy to receive your letter! Don't blame yourself, love. I should've reached out, too. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to. I had been so used to seeing you, Lily, Peter, Sirius, and James hanging out together that after they died and Sirius was taken, it was hard to imagine seeing you without them. I know it probably sounds horrible, but if I saw you alone, it would've made it real... and I needed it to not be real for a while. After that I worried you would be angry with me for letting so much time pass. I guess a part of me worried you might blame me for their deaths, too. I had to stay out of the ministry's view for fear they would find out what I was but I should've been there for you when they were questioning you. Not a day has gone by that I haven't regretted not being there for you. I'd love to get together for coffee before term starts. Does tomorrow work? Noon?

I miss you.

Remus

I smiled to myself as I finished reading the letter, though I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. I hated how much time had passed since I'd seen Remus and I hated that he'd blamed himself, but the idea of seeing him again filled me with so much joy. I quickly wrote back to him agreeing to tomorrow's tea and sent the letter off with my owl.