Chapter 49: Fine

The next day the students arrived. Remus and Harry told me what had occurred on the train and I was grateful to Remus for being there for Harry. We were sitting in the Great Hall as Dumbledore stepped up to the podium, preparing to make his speech.

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor," Dumbledore said as Remus stood up and the room erupted in applause. His cheeks flushed a deep shade of red and I smiled as he sat down, giving him a small nod as he beamed.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures professor has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

I looked down the table and noticed Minerva gently nudge Hagrid, who quickly stood up as the table shook and applause filled the hall once again. I giggled softly as Minerva gently tugged Hagrid back into his seat.

"Now, we also have our History of Magic Professor returning this year. Professor Binns will be taking over while Professor Y/l/n moves to being our Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts assistant. She will first assist Professor Lupin during the first part of term and will move to Professor Snape's classroom later in the year. I'm sure you're all aware Professor Binns has been requesting to be back in his old classroom and Professor Y/l/n has so kindly consented to this. I'm sure it will be nice to have an additional assistant in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom for a while as well."

The room erupted in murmurs of agreement before the students began applauding.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note... at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." Silence filled the hall as the students looked around at each other. "The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-today activities... a word of caution." Dumbledore's voice grew quiet and I could feel the tension in the air as he continued. "Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, must warn each and every one of you... give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving." I felt a lump growing in my throat as Albus continued to speak. Severus placed a hand on my thigh, sensing my discomfort at the warning.

"But, you know, happiness can be found... even in the darkest of times... if one only remembers to turn on the light."

The rest of the meal went smoothly, though I wasn't extremely hungry. Severus gently nudged me, encouraging me to eat and I took small bites of the food, trying to assure him I was fine, though everything was far from fine.