Chapter 9: Tell me it Wasn't You

The next few days were awkward. Severus kept trying to pull me aside but I couldn't bring myself to talk to him right now. The things he'd said had really hurt me and I didn't know how to just go back to being friends... especially when I had feelings for him.

Harry had been accepted for the Quidditch team and his first game is today. I am super excited for him, though super nervous. I was sitting with Albus and Minerva as I watched the other players shooting around the field. I saw Severus sitting in the Slytherin stands, his eyes locked on mine and I felt butterflies fill my stomach as he smiled softly at me. Before I could return the gesture I heard screaming coming from the stands. I looked over to the field, noticing Harry's broom jerking wildly.

Minerva and I stood up, watching as Harry was jerked back and forth. I quickly ran down the stairs of the Gryffindor stand. I saw Hagrid watching with Ron but Hermione had slipped away. I saw her bushy brown hair making its way through the crowd, heading toward the Slytherin stand. I made my way through the crowd toward Hagrid and Ron.

"Ron, where's Hermione going?"

"Oh... uh... she..."

"Ronald Weasley, if you don't spit it out."

"Someone is jinxing the broom and she's going to stop him."

"Who is it?"

"Uh... I don't know. She, uh... she didn't tell me."

"Weasley..."

"Arlight! It's Snape! He's jinxing Harry's broom!"

"What?!" I looked toward the Slytherin stands just in time to see someone point to Snape's cloak. He focused on stamping out the fire as Quirrell fell backwards. I watched the interaction, curiously, noticing how Harry's broom stopped jerking the minute Quirrell fell.

What the hell just happened?

...

After making sure Harry was alright, I went to find Severus. I knocked on his office door and I heard a grumble before the door swung open.

"What do y-." He stopped as his eyes locked on me. "Y/n... what are you doing here, love? Come in." He ushered me inside, closing the door behind me. "What's going on, darling?"

"Tell me it wasn't you."

"What are you talking about, love?"

"Tell me it wasn't you jinxing Harry's broom... I know you hate his father bu-."

"What? Y/n, no! Yes, I hated Potter but that doesn't mean I would try to kill his son! I'm a professor! I would never try to kill one of my students, Y/n."

I breathed a sigh of relief as the realization hit me. "It was Quirrell, wasn't it?"

"I believe so... Y/n, I was trying to save the boy with a countercurse, not kill him. I would never try to kill him. He's a child and he means too much to you."

I felt tears slipping down my cheeks as Severus pulled me into a hug.

"Oh, darling... I would never hurt him... or you, intentionally... but I did hurt you... and for that I'm so sorry, Y/n."

I pulled away, looking into his eyes as he watched me carefully.

"I forgive you, Sev."

"Y-you do?"

I nodded, placing my hand on the side of his face. "Yes, Sev. I forgive you... just... be more careful with your words next time, yeah?"

"Of course. I'm so sorry, Y/n."

"It's alright, Sev."