Chapter 23

August 30th, Jason's safe-house

"Answer me, how long has Bruce believed he killed me?" Jason's whispers didn't hide how dangerous he sounded.

Tim's voice disappeared and left no forwarding address. He kept staring at Jason's terrifying glare even with the cutest little baby wrapped around the ex-vigilante's neck.

"Well, I thought you knew that ... you know, I mean we did tell you we found the ... uh the footage from the helmet of that night, we did tell you that right? I mean it might've been Dick who told you and maybe he forgot something or maybe ... okay so you see the bottom line is... we couldn't because it's not like," Tim started rambling, trying to find the right words and failing spectacularly.

"You are so fu-freaking lucky that Harper's asleep right now," Jason let out a few controlled breaths.

"I suppose I am," Tim swallowed hard, "it's just when we said we weren't telling him I assumed-"

"We're not telling him about Harper or that I'm back in Gotham! I don't see how you assumed I understood you had him convinced he'd killed me!" Jason whisper yelled.

"He kinda did," Tim tried one last defense strategy and was met with an even more intense glare.

"I swear Tim," Jason closed his eyes in frustration, there he was enjoying his time with his baby, she was so cute and he was making progress with her cooing. Tim had to come and ruin it with a half-assed story about Bruce being convinced he'd killed his son.

"Ehh," Harper whined and started doing that weird noise that sounded like purring.

"Again, so lucky," Jason glared at Tim and gently rubbed Harper's back, "are you okay Harper? I don't think that's too comfortable."

"Ehh," Harper whined again then.

Frrttt, frrttt

"So classy," Jason snorted his mood changing instantly, "but I get it, new diaper. Did you take pictures?"

"Yeah," Tim nodded, "do you want me to help?"

"No, I think I've got this," Jason slipped his hands between his neck and Harper's belly to lift her up from under her arms then he winced, "yeah I don't think that will work."

Tim nodded again and approached the bed; he gently picked up Harper who tried to stay latched onto her dad's neck. Jason tried not to pout at the loss of baby weight and warmth around his neck.

"God this is so adorable!" Tim cooed as he cradled the sleeping baby in his arms, "you are so cute Harper!"

"She is, isn't she," Jason sat up in his bed then pinched the bridge of his nose, "explain to me why did you let Bruce think he's killed me for all this time and what on earth is going on that Diana only just told him that! Like what the hel-heck is going on?"

"Keep it down, she's still sleeping," Tim was so glad he had Harper, Jason wasn't going to overreact or yell, or do anything that might disturb her.

"That's a new low, hiding behind a baby, my baby," Jason shook his head and stood up, "just tell me why, why on earth would you let him think he killed me? You know how he feels about killing, you know what it would've done to him, you know he didn't mean to-"

"He deserved it," was all Tim said.

Three words that sounded familiar. Jason didn't know what to say so he just took Harper from Tim and walked to the nursery. Tim followed him and watched as Jason silently and expertly changed Harper's diaper as the baby slept through it, completely unbothered, like the queen that she was. Jason was finishing the last button when Tim finally spoke again.