Chapter 5

During the 2 weeks after the fight, Tim's nest

Tim had been sulking in his apartment since the fight. The only debrief the family got from Bruce was that Jason was done and never welcome back to Gotham; no more Redhood.

Tim called Jason a few times but as expected, he got no answer. It didn't make sense, why would Jason just shoot Penguin? They worked together not too long ago; they kicked future Batman/Tim in the butt together. Jason and Dick worked on the KG-Beast case at the circus and the outlaws. Things have been going good, until they weren't.

Jason killed Penguin.

Jason broke the golden bat rule, again.

Bats don't kill.

Bruce told them to stand down, that he was handling it. So they did. Tim watched the news and from what the cameras caught, Roy Harper showed up and knocked out Bruce and helped Jason. Tim started tracking the pair with the purpose of bringing them in that is until he found the footage of Alfred driving around the scene like a mad man with his phone in hand; RED FLAG. Tim pulled Alfred's phone records. It was a massive violation of Alfred's privacy but Tim thinks Alfred would forgive him someday. Alfred had been calling Roy and Jason telling them to run.

Alfred was telling Jason to run.

Something went terribly wrong.

Gotham was too quiet after the fight. There was no news on Penguin and no official reports of his death.

Alfred was telling Jason to run.

Tim was a smart person. He discovered Batman's identity at 9yo! He was really smart. Alfred telling Jason to run meant one thing, Alfred saw something through the cowl's footage that made him disregard the fact that Jason had killed Penguin. Tim tried to pull the footage of the cowl, which was a pretty easy thing considering that he had the highest clearance and access to the batcave's servers.

He couldn't access the files of that night; he tried every override code he could think of but couldn't access the files from his own server. Tim was a better hacker than Barbara, that was a fact everyone loved to deny, but it is what it is. Tim tried to get to the cave's computer through the clock tower and discovered that Barbara was helping Bruce find Jason.

Something was wrong. Bruce never encrypted cowl footage that well and if he needed to find someone, he'd ask Tim not Barbara.

Tim did what he does best. He worked the case. He hacked into the outlaws' base and started reading their case files. They'd been doing good work and their filing system – thank you big brains Bizarro- was pretty impressive. They didn't have an open case on Penguin. So why did Jason go after him?

Tim retraced Jason's movements of the past few weeks. The only interesting thing was when Jason dug Willis' grave. Why would Jason do that? Willis is the reason Catherine became an addict in the first place, Willis is the reason Sheila left in the first place, Willis was the reason Jason's life went to shit and he had to take care of his mother and then himself on the streets before Bruce took him in.

Willis Todd, twenty to life, dead in Black Gate penitentiary

The surveillance footage Tim pulled from the cemetery showed Redhood digging up a coffin that turned out to be empty. Tim watched Jason shovel up the dirt from every angle he could find. Something caught his attention, a short, fat and blurry man standing with someone who seemed to have a rifle. Tim found a better angle; it was Penguin and a sniper. Why was Penguin watching Redhood dig up Willis Todd's empty grave?

Something was really wrong.

Tim kept working. He watched Jason dig and Penguin watch Jason dig. Then Penguin laughed and left. Then Jason seemed to yell something and fall to his knees. If Tim didn't know Jason he couldn't have known Jason yelled something before falling to his knees. Tim tried to find a camera that could've had sound on; he tried to redirect the closest satellite. He tried to understand what happened. Jason dug Willis' apparently empty grave for a reason, a reason that interested Penguin. It all goes back to Penguin. Tim hacked into Gotham General Hospital, he found Oswald Cobblepot's medical chart; Penguin was alive. Tim sent a drone to Penguin's room, the drone left a microscopic camera on the window.