Chapter 2

Jason's safe-house

Jason was standing above the crib. She hasn't cried yet, babies are supposed to cry. He kept putting his finger under her nose to make sure she was breathing. He was waiting for help, help was on the way. He wanted to call Roy, but Roy was in rehab, Roy needed rehab, he'll call Roy once everything is settled.

Jason was still holding his phone, a contact open, finger hovering over the call button.

Bruce Wayne.

No he wasn't calling Bruce, no matter how much he wanted.

BZZ BZZ

The alarm systems went off, Jason locked his phone, took his gun and went to the door.

"Master Jason, put that away, I came as fast as I could," Alfred came in with groceries, he always filled their fridges when he visited.

"I'm sorry, I'm a bit on edge," Jason put the gun away.

"What's the problem?" Alfred set the groceries on the kitchen table and faced Jason for the first time since the big fight, he was about to assess what he saw, the injuries his son left on his grandson, that's when he noticed the stroller.

"She's inside," Jason walked to his room not looking at Alfred.

"Goodness gracious," Alfred stared at baby Harper, "Jason?"

"She hasn't cried, I checked her diaper it's clean, but I changed it anyway, I gave her a bottle she didn't eat, I keep checking if she's breathing, I don't know what to do," Jason looked at Alfred then handed him Isabel's letter.

"My boy, I'm so sorry," Alfred hugged Jason when he finished the letter.

"I don't know what to do Alfred."

"It's okay, we'll figure it out," Alfred gently patted Jason's back.

"I'm turning the other bedroom into a nursery, but I need to buy everything and I'm meeting the lawyer tomorrow, I have to baby proof the place, I need to buy baby books to know what to do."

"Jason, calm down, I'm right here," Alfred smiled sadly, "I don't mean anything by the question, but don't you want to make sure she's yours?"

"I already called Tim, I can't do the test myself, even if she's not, I'm taking care of her, but anyway now that you're here I can go pee," Jason ran to the bathroom, Tim was the least likely of the birds to run to Bruce immediately.

"Hello little princess," Alfred smiled down to Harper, "you're in for a very interesting life."

"Jay I'm really glad you're okay but you need a better security system, and honestly what is it that can't wait, and why can't you do it, like I have stuff to do, and like B will be super pissed that you're back," Tim yelled as he came in.

"Master Tim, keep it down," Alfred scolded from the door frame of Jason's room.

"Alfred? Why are you here? Why is there a stroller here?"

"Keep any sharp objects in the living room before you come in," Alfred said.

"Who is this?" Tim asked carefully as he saw the baby, "where's Jason?"

"In the bathroom, I suspect he hasn't used it since she arrived," Alfred kept smiling at the baby.

"Tim, thank God," Jason came out.

"Jay, who's this?" Tim took the letter from Alfred.

Jason went back to staring at Harper and explained everything, telling them Leslie and the lawyer were the only people who knew.